sea horses

FishGeek

Elite Fish
May 13, 2005
South Carolina
Seahorses do better in a species only tank. Thay have alot of special requirements. They also tend to get pick on by other fish. And they move slow so making sure they get enough food will be diffucult. I would have to say no.

Limi310

Superstar Fish
Nov 30, 2005
Charlotte, NC
My LFS has a BIG sign on the seahorse tank and at the cashier station warning against how difficult it is to keep seahorses (which I think is nice and very responsible of them). They can be very hard to feed as they do not regularly accept prepared foods and they are not aggressive eaters. If you are not a SUPER advanced saltwater keeper, I don't think it would be a good idea. Even the smallest most minor thing can result in the death of a seahorse - they are extremely sensitive. Seahorses need to be introduced into VERY mature established tanks - and if i am not mistaken, isn't yours fairly new?
Also Seahorses are not strong swimmers and have no defense against aggression.

All in all, I would say No, please don't get a seahorse.

Sep 8, 2005
I usually reserve this type of verbal abuse for my husband. But i am feeling expansive today. Sooo What the hell could you be thinking.!!!

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2005
st. louis area
fishchaser don't worry, I got your back. lol

aresgod said:
dude you have a shark...in a 60 gallon tank...which is also wrong...but why would you think it would be ok to put a seahorse with a shark?
the shark, according to his signature is in his FW. I'm not an expert but this shouldn't be a problem. Seahorses may be sensitive but there is no way that they are that sensitive.

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
oh seahorses are quite tough BUT impossible, or at least very, very difficult to feed. So they'll handle all sorts of rubbish water conditions, but starve to death in a couple of weeks anyway.

These fish are not a good idea for you, unless you have time to hand raise live food to feed them several times a day.