sea horses?

Katome556

Large Fish
Oct 16, 2006
Russell,Kansas
can anyone link me to some sites that has good prices on them, and does anyone have any info on tanks size and tank mates/raised them before?

^^ any help would be kind.

kaihonu82

Small Fish
Mar 30, 2006
santa clara, ca
yea, I've also heard that they're very hard to keep in your tank..hard to get them to eat and unfortuately they end up dying.. :( not trying to discourage you, just make sure have everything you need for them

Flowerkid

Large Fish
Mar 12, 2006
here is what i have ok
tank size 50g
water temp 75-80*f
Water Quality nitrate concentration less than 30 ppm phostphate less than .25 ppm
Stocking schedule
1st week-live rock
2nd algae
3rdleather corals, disc anemones
4th snails, sea urchind, 1 bicolor blenny, and 1 pair seahorses
6th tube worms 2additional pairs of seahorses 1 mandarin fish

That is what the book said might be too many horses but w/e there it is

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
You need to be aware that seahorses need a species-only tank, and that they require a lot of care.

You should also know that they're becoming endangered in the wild, and that setting up a tank and hoping for success without really knowing their requirements isn't the way to go. Make sure you only buy tank-raised seahorses if you're really serious.

You'll need to do a lot more of your own research than simply asking on MFT and hoping for the best. Not that MFT doesn't have people who are knowlegeable, but even a good google search will bring up plenty of info.

FWSWBW

Medium Fish
Nov 19, 2006
tennessee
I have raised the dwarves...yes they are very picky eaters, but not only that you have to have an established tank atleat a year old. Seahorse.com will tell you everything you need to know about them. They require height to a tank..like if you were to keep 2 mustangs..a 40 gallon tall is excellant. No stinging corals, very few fish can be kept with them. Low flow..which means more water changes and absolutely pristine water conditions. They start out with live foods only but can be trained to accept frozen foods at a feeding station. They also need some things to cling to..alot of ppl use fake seaweed or dead seafans. If you would like to start keeping seahorses..start your tank now for Christmas next year! Yea they are for experience SW keepers and an old established tank.. and sadly have a high mortality rate. I had 2 males and 2 females, within 2 weeks of receiving them I had both males release babies..ended up with about 16. They were dwarves as I said and even harder than the reg size seahorses..they only accept live food. I have a brine shrimp hatchery so that wasn't a big deal..they eat twice a day and fast one day a week. I eventually gave them away, I had to make room for the 58 gallon and just couldn't keep them. Here are some shots of my little horses.
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]

Sep 26, 2006
New Jersey
wow a 1 year established tank i knew they had to have a well established tank but not a year... oh well thx for the site hopefully they dont go on the endangered list anytime soon...
Good luck dude if you go along with this :D
and CONGRATES FWSWBW for raising those awesome little guys

FWSWBW

Medium Fish
Nov 19, 2006
tennessee
They recommend a year old tank..although ppl have done it with a "newer" tank, when I say newer meaning about 6-8 months old, but these are pretty much experts. It has something to do with the bacteria..Well anyway Seahorse.com is the place to look up anything and they sell them there too. Only captive raised seahorses, they do a great job and have a fourm where you can ask questions. They aren't cheap thats for sure, I think they get $169.00 for a breeding pair of mustangs. If you go on that site check out what they get for pintos..they are awesome, but I could never afford them.