Seachem Ammonia Alert Stickers

Grymatta

Large Fish
May 16, 2005
Does anyone else have these? They are the suction cup stickons that go inside your aquarium and are supposed to alert you to high ammonia levels.

Do they work?

I got one and it never seems to change color..its always at yellow (safe) even when my ammonia spikes..it never seems to go up.

revfred

Superstar Fish
Jun 21, 2003
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
Good question. Seachem folks are pretty helpful. Write them and ask them at what Am readings it will change to the various color. An Am "spike" is a relative term ... not necessarily toxic to fish.

i wanted to get one of those a while back but didn't want to cause it would look weird... anyways i was reading a little about it on seachem.com and it says it gets more sensitive over time so i guess its just cause its new? i personally trust seachem products cause i use a lot of them but they could still have some products that don't work too well...

svetlana

Large Fish
Feb 16, 2005
Gaithersburg, MD
home.uchicago.edu
I used the sticker on my 57g. It actually works and it does get more sensitive with time passing. I bought it only b/c when i get from work i need to see at once what i need to do. When there is no amm. it is very bright happy yellow, if there is 0.25 and more it gets "dirty" yellow. If it's greenish it means energency overdose of amm.
Unfortunately it do not measure nitrites. When cycle goes next stage you can be happy with your amm. but all your fish can die from huge nitrite surge. So, it is expensive and it won't save you if you are not careful.
When i did my cycling, i first looked at the sticker, then did my amm. and nit. tests. And then did huge wc. Why? B/c if you have like 0.5 of nitrite you need to do at least 80% to bring it down to "safe" level and hope for the best.
So, the cycling is not for faint of the heart. At the end it supposed to be worth it but it depends on your feelings :)

discus4everGrl

Superstar Fish
May 24, 2005
Chesapeake, Va
I have one on my 55 gallon. However, they will only read ammonia levels. When you use ammolock or other products that turn ammonia to ammonium (sp) they don't read the second one, which is good cause regent test will give you a false positive result even after ammonia neutralizing stuff such as ammolock is add so you don't know how much free ammonia is in the tank.

Grymatta

Large Fish
May 16, 2005
huh...interesting comments. I remember that the packaging said that its good for up to 1 year. So if it gets more sensitive over time..I would assume in a month or two? Mine is new so I guess I gotta let it "mature".

I've never noticed it changing from its yellow color. Its got yellow (safe), light blue(alert), blue (alarm), and purple (toxic). I got mine for about 9 bucks.

svetlana

Large Fish
Feb 16, 2005
Gaithersburg, MD
home.uchicago.edu
I never saw it changing color either. Especially to purple. "Dirty" yellow is for everything above 0.25.
Actually it's maybe me who became more sensitive overtime recognizing finer and finer shades? I swear I saw even greenish color :)
Conclusion is that it is worthless. When my amm. went down to zero I had to measure nit. anyway.