seahorse compatibility

fonzie

Medium Fish
Dec 7, 2003
Visit site
Does anyone know if a seahorse can be kept with a yellow tang,2 clarki clownfish,and a lionfish(leaves fish alone and is peacefull unless other fish are big enough to be eaten).I have a 55 gallon aquarium if that helps any.

catfishmike

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Sin City, again...
seahorses are species only.meaning that they should only be kept by themselves.i'm sure someone has done it but i'm not going to reccomend it.seahorses have very diffrent requierments than fish so the tanks will set up diffrently.

fonzie

Medium Fish
Dec 7, 2003
Visit site
I was just asking because my local pet store has some sea horses with a clown fish,crabs,sea starts,and anemones and they're doing fine(they've been there for a long time now).All they do is have a lot of different filters in the tank to keep the water crystal clear.

Sep 12, 2003
Springfield, MO
Seahorses are not as hard to keep as everyone makes them out to be. Most people have these problems

1. Problems feeding, try mysis or baby brine
2. Too much current, Hard to keep healthy water with out it
3. Being prey to other fish.

Under no circumstances would I ever keep one with a lion. Seahorses are slow moving and are an easy target.

exodon

Medium Fish
Jan 31, 2003
western canada
www.myfishtank.ca
seahorses

seahorses can be difficult. Captive bred one are far hardier and usually feed well. Wild do not feed well. They reqiure alot more attention.
I have kept seahorses w/ clowns, stars, urchines crabs etc,
Anemones ... be careful tho. I had a carpet devour a seahorse faily qiuckly, but have had no trouble w/ seba, long tent. etc. Extreme caution there tho, cuz u never know...

Exodon

fonzie

Medium Fish
Dec 7, 2003
Visit site
Originally posted by allthingsanimal
Seahorses are not as hard to keep as everyone makes them out to be. Most people have these problems

1. Problems feeding, try mysis or baby brine
2. Too much current, Hard to keep healthy water with out it
3. Being prey to other fish.

Under no circumstances would I ever keep one with a lion. Seahorses are slow moving and are an easy target.
My lionfish doesn't bother any fish above 2".The sea horses that are at the pet store are about 4".

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
It's a stupid idea. Seahorses are not technically hard to keep alive as they don't require super pristine water. However they are very , very slow, fussy about what they eat, and need to feed a lot. Try to keep them with clowns - the clowns will steal their food, likewise 99% of other fish. Kep them iwth anemonaes , and they usually end up in the anemonae, keep them with corals, and they often get stung by the coral. You think seahorses live in reefs in the wild - you think wrong, they live in seagrass area in my (limited ) experience.
Keep them lionfish, they end up eaten, don't kid yourself

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Really, do you think more than 5 or 10% of the seahorses sold survive more than a couple of months, usually due to starvation. Do you want to join those stats?
They need lots, if not continual feeding, and not of brine shrimp. Not easy

fonzie

Medium Fish
Dec 7, 2003
Visit site
how about if I get a tank for a sea horse only(no fish,just some none poisonous coral so he can hang on it).I know it sounds like a stupid idea to get one but I just want to try the challenge of keeping one.Since I was getting another aquarium anyway I was going to buy a stand that holds two aquariums and I thought of just setting one up especially for a seahorse.

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
like wayne said, seahorses live in seagrass...same as pipefish (if you are thinking of the ones im thinking of)...check out a book on the florida everglades...give you an idea of the setup (sans crocs)...i would go without coral....

KB

catfishmike

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Sin City, again...
nope better to raise and feed your own brine shrimp and feed brine shrimp specialized vitamin suppliments,like selicon(sp?)or zoe marine by kent marine.better yet start reading frehswater and marine aquarium aka fama.every month there is an article on keeping seahorses and it is quite informative.like wayne said,they're really not that hard to keep but it's time consuming and not like a fish only tank.just get some plastic grass instead of coral or seagrass or anything else.read up and try to make the tank as simple as possible.

fonzie

Medium Fish
Dec 7, 2003
Visit site
My local library and local fish store each have their share of sea horse books.I'm pretty sure the pet store feeds their vitamin enriched brine shrimp(they sell it and other types of frozen foods and it's slightly more expensive than the regular brine shrimp).I have a lot of time on my hands since I go to school and only work on the weekends.

catfishmike

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Sin City, again...
never assume with your lfs.it's very rare for them to do things "right"most retailers attitude is this first in first out.often livestock won't even be fed because the expect to sell the animal before they need to feed it.hopefuly they do.don't be afraid to ask.a good store will give you the low down even if it's not what you want to hear.

fonzie

Medium Fish
Dec 7, 2003
Visit site
I know the guys at the pet store and they know me and they'll give me straight answers.Plus I let a couple of days pass when a fish arrive and I go to check it out daily and see hows it doing before I ever buy it.