Seahorse Help

FishGeek

Elite Fish
May 13, 2005
South Carolina
Ok so in the future, not sure how far down the road really, me and hubby were thinking of setting up a 'simple' SW tank and were thinking about doing a Seahorse (species only) Tank. Its sorta hard to find decent and reliable info on them. Anyone have any??

FishGeek

Elite Fish
May 13, 2005
South Carolina
Thats why I quoted it. :p Basically by simple I mean Im not looking into getting into a reef setup or go too elaborate in that area. Ive cared for seahorses some where I used to work so I have some basic knowledge but Im looking for more in depth info.

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
I think seahorse.org has a lot of info. I think most people set up a "lagoon" type tank with macroalgaes and maybe a goby. LR is in the sump. Flow is gentle. You could also try the seahorse forum on Reef Central.

I did buy the book Dwarf Seahorses a while back, because I eventually want seahorses. It's not a bad book, but to stock a tank would have been somewhere around $500, and at that point I had no SW experience. Now that I do have experience, I have no time to care for them :( I definitely do want a lagoon tank with seahorses some day. I would recommend the book, although it really only talks about dwarf seahorses. They're apparently some of the easiest to breed.

Fuzz16

Superstar Fish
Oct 20, 2006
Wellsville, KS
hmm...gorgonians for them to hold onto
very low flow

and yo dont really want other fish other than maybe like pipefish cause the other fish will eat all tghe food, even a goby.

personally wouldnt buy them online cause then yo dont know if they will eat or not and they ship poorly IME

Chris_A

Large Fish
Oct 14, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Well Seahorses got moved to CITES Appendix II either last April or the one before that. So the cost on WC ones has skyrocketed, captive bred ones arn't cheap either (which *should* be what you're looking at anyway ;) ). Other than that, don't really have much to add... The site Lotus posted before is the same one I look at when I'm looking for Seahorse info. I'm guessing the HQI from your other thread is for this tank? Maybe try and find some mangroves and/or seagrasses too??? There's an area for algaes and seagrass on Reef Central that seems to focus on Lagoon habitats. Could be some interesting ideas for a seahorse tank... :)

Chris