Seahorse question

Absolut

Small Fish
Dec 3, 2003
Visit site
I am planning to get a seahorse but don't know weather it is right or wrong to put it with 2 damsell and 1 dartfish? Any idea?

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
Everything I have read says you shouldn't keep seahorses with fish. I don't have a SW tank, but really love seahorses. When I was researching, it was always recommended that they be in a species only tank as they are slow to get to food and can starve if kept with fish. Someone else may have more experience on this one for you :)

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
seahorses are a bad bad choice...very hard to keep alive. The damsels will kill it for sure just by stressing it to death. I would not go that route unless you plan on setting up a seahorse specific tank. Not a good entry level fish

KB

catfishmike

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Sin City, again...
please,please,please do all your research first.seahorses are not easy to keep and should only be left to those who are sure they can keep them alive.also as said above they should always be kept in a species only tank.i'm sure there is someone who has kept them in a tank with fish,but i suggest not to try.they have a very specific set of needs to attened to.if you are truly interested try getting a few books and read the monthly article in fama whenever you can.

Absolut

Small Fish
Dec 3, 2003
Visit site
K just changed my mind and bought a very nice rusty angel. Damsells gave a nice welcome but it looks ok now. 1 small question how long would it take to grow a new gill (i am not sure they are called gill in english or not but i mean the one on both sides of fishes head and fish like to hit and eat them while fighting) for Angel? :(

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Damsels are pushy, but can work woth other fish if there's enough space. Thereæs always a chance it won't work , especially with the 3 spots (incredibly aggressive!) and striped humbugs.
Seahorses are easy to keep in some ways, and very hard in others. They don't need much in the way of setup - they have a low metabolic rate, don't move much, and when I've seen their relatives pipefish in the wild, lets say the water quality isn't pristine. So they can work in small tanks. However, they are difficult to feed. They require continuous amounts of small, often live food. Live caught are very difficult to deal withI believe - realistically you need a large 'refugium' style tank to provide copepods else they'll simply starve. Brine shrimp will be accepted , but are nutritinally crap - again the fish will starve to death, but this time with a full belly.
Absolut - how's your angel? I hope you have a nice lve rock tank or you might have some fun getting that to eat as well. Unfortunately I suspect by now the damsels will have 'done a job' on it - it sounds like it was getting a beating.

Absolut

Small Fish
Dec 3, 2003
Visit site
Actually i dont know how the angel is because it hide behind the coral and all i can see is its tail. I can see it is alive and moving but have no idea about the injured fin. I never saw him move anywhere else after i put it in the aquarium. I hope he will survive.

Absolut

Small Fish
Dec 3, 2003
Visit site
Yesterday i took the angel to quarantine aquarium and after a few hours it died. The upper fin was also damaged too. I hope it was the damsels otherwise i may have some illness in the water.

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
So the angel was never ok. It sounds like you're going to have hassle getting anything else in that tank unless it's big enough or different enough for the damsels to ignore. A big, big shame the angel dies.
You likely do have some illness intheir anyway if you don't quarantine wild caught fish - you're just gambling at the end of the day.