Seahorse tank

aresgod

Superstar Fish
Jan 14, 2004
mass
Visit site
yea I would put 3 horses in a 10 gallon, and they are very difficult to keep, and I doubt they like the fake plants usually they live in sea grass, they need very low water flow so they dont wear themselves out battling the current, they are very specific eaters, and need a species only tank which you have done but I would make it a little bigger tank, and make sure there are plenty of "hitching posts" for them to attach themselves to

Last edited:

S.Reef

Superstar Fish
Dec 1, 2003
Michigan
Hmm...lets see, depending on the style of plastic plants they may enjoy hanging on to them. What kind of sehorses are they? Many get much too big for a 5 gallon although the pgymys stay small. What kind of filtration are you using? You should be feeding frequently with brine shrimp and mysis so you will need a strong filter, without a lot of current.

And to answer your initial question maybe a few snails and a little shrimp? SOmething like that.

They enjoy the fake plants, i made sure the water flow was low, Im not sure of the exact species (for some reason my lfs is picky on what they label with scientific names) but they are currently fairly small and they absolutely love froven brine.

I havent had them too long, and truth to be told this is my first experence with salt water (aside from my brac green puffer tank). Ive done alot of research on them and this is why i decided to go with a small 5 gal (in much of my research i kept coming across people who claim 10 gal can actually be too big for them).

Just so you guys know im not going in this completely blind, if a situation arises a close friend of mine has been doing salt water tanks for over a decade. Which is actually why i asked the original question. He said i could probably add some small shrimp or small inverts and i was just wondering what the myfishtank community thought of this.

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
I wouldn't add too much. I'd avoid stinging things like corals, and if you buy a featherduster you know it's going to starve to death.
Maybe a common cleaner shrimp?Maybe, maybe some zoanthids, though I don't think they do so well if you just have stock lighting.
For filtering these things I guess I'd try a low flow bucket like an eheim ecco - lots of area, low flow rates