Seeding Limestone

Nutfarm

Large Fish
Jul 16, 2004
Oregon
go4fun.org
I've never heard of it before, but the reasoning is sound. My only apprehention toward limestone instead of coral is the unnatural shapes you're dealing with. I prefer the variety in shapes, densities, colors, and sizes of the coral. If that doesn't matter as much to you, then by all means give it a try and report back with your results. :)

TurbineSurgeon

Superstar Fish
Feb 27, 2004
Dallas, TX
Visit site
It makes a lot of sense to me, although the article refers to using quarried blocks, which seem unnatural. A lot of potentially dangerous work would be required to break it up.

Other options that I have heard of and which seem more attractive to me include using dead coral skeletons (often sold for decorative purposes, either inside or outside aquaria) and Texas holey rock (which is readilly available to me for free!).

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
I have to say I don't think that's a very good article. What sort of limestone - marble ? Rock hard, non porous calcite that will be like bricks. A nice soft sandy calcsand that dalls to a blob of sand 2 weeks later underwater? Chalk? It's too vague. I can see the appeal of seeding dead rock, but you really need to think about the properties of what you're going to seed. You should also remember that you're really only producing a palce for bacteria and algae to grow. You're never going to import hitchhikers, desirable or not.
If you've got something like texas holey rock and plenty of patience you can do well. YOu should also look on the garf site www.garf.org on how to make aragacrete fake live rock.