Seeding

Oct 18, 2008
Atlanta, Ga
What exactly is seeding? I see this word used in reference to new tank set up and getting it cycled faster. How exactly do you seed? I see people who say they are seeding from their other tanks.

Kristy

Bakerman

Small Fish
Aug 3, 2008
Seeding is the use of material from an established (cycled) tank to jump start the cycle of a new tank.

Items used can be gravel, decorations, filter media. In other words all the areas where the bacteria grow.

Claim is that the cycle of a new tank will be much quicker going this route.

I am cycling a new tank now, using material from my other tank. It seems to be moving quicker, but it has only been a week. A bit early to tell.

I hope I answered your question.

Oct 18, 2008
Atlanta, Ga
You sure did Bakerman. Thank you. I kept seeing the filter media, but I didn't know of all the other stuff you could use. Since I'm doing a fish in cycle (didn't know any better) I can't do this now. I do plan on having more tanks so this is useful for the future.

dogdoc

Large Fish
Sep 6, 2005
You can still seed the tank even though there are fish in. If you have another tank, use stuff out of there. If you don't, find a friend or even a LFS that will loan or give you some gravel or filter material. Will definitely speed along the cycle and make your fish happier.

I use this all the time for my quarantine tank. It is usually stored dry in a closet somewhere until I need it. When I set it up, I take a sponge from a filter on one of the currently running tanks and put it in the filter for the QT. On day two, I get a bacterial bloom and the water goes a little cloudy. On day three, the water is clear, and the tank is cycled. No muss, no fuss.

unwritten law

Superstar Fish
Sep 2, 2008
DC
sometimes getting gravel from a fish store isn't so great because chances are, that's were there is gonna be parasites and other bad stuff.... I'd recommend finding a friend with a tank instead.