Serpae Tetras?

timmie2

Small Fish
Nov 1, 2005
My husband recently saw some serpae tetras and thought they were just beautiful. I have done some research, and it seems that even though the fish store says they are 'peaceful community fish', they may be to nippy for a peaceful aquarium. Has anyone had experience with these fish? I would like opinions, especially if you had/have some in a community tank. What fish (if any) would be safe with them? Would I need at least 6 serpae tetras? How big a tank? Any and all info/opinions welcome.
Thanks,
Timmie2

albo

New Fish
Dec 5, 2005
New York
I have 7 serpae tetras in my 40 gal tank they are very peaceful to my other fish they seem to all stay together in a group. i have not seen any fin nipping. lfs did recommend me to get at least 5. hope this helps

Seleya

Superstar Fish
Nov 22, 2004
Cape Cod, MA
Visit site
You need them in a large enough group or they'll be nippy. If they have buddies to jostle, they'll leave the rest of the fish alone for the most part. I would suggest at least 5 or so. What size tank are you considering them for? What else is in there?

discus4everGrl

Superstar Fish
May 24, 2005
Chesapeake, Va
I had a bunch way back about 3 years ago before the hurricane took them victim. However, I actually found them to be shy fish and it is best to keep them in mid sized groups. From my experience a group of them makes them feel more confident. I never had any fin nipping and I had angels in with them......