Setting up a Chiller

HMarcks

Large Fish
Aug 20, 2007
Palm Springs
I just got a Aqua Euro type chiller for my soon to be salt water tank. The directions for hooking it up are very vague and their is no labeling on the unit. I cant tell which connection is the outlet and which is the inlet. Is this because it doesn't matter which way the water flows through it? I don't want to hook my hoses onto it backwards and start up the pump to have it ruin the internal workings because the water is flowing through the wrong way. Oh it has an outside pump source (if that is important). So doesn anyone know how to hook the hoses up properly.

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
i just have a fan mounted in my canopy and even being in south florida (temps 90 +) i never have a problem ... my temp is usually between 78-81 , 78 being when lights are out ;)
btw its just a regular $10 fan from homedepot

HMarcks

Large Fish
Aug 20, 2007
Palm Springs
I got so excited when I saw your input Lotus. I ran over to the chiller hopefull but alas their were no screens on either one. I tried to call my LFS but I think they are already closed. :(

epond83

Large Fish
Mar 11, 2007
from what i've learned from comercial chillers (for buildings which are simular) it will not ruin it to run it either way (unless there is a pre-filter as lotus said), however there is a huge differance is effecincy depending on how you hook it up.

Probably can't figure this out by looking at it but you want your tank water to flow the oposite direction as the coolant in the heat exchange chamber.

HMarcks

Large Fish
Aug 20, 2007
Palm Springs
Thanks for the help guys. I ended up just hooking it up and praying it worked. So far everything has been running smoothly. EPond, I'll make sure to ask at the LFS to see about the proper way so that it is most efficient.