Setting up a new tank

Aug 2, 2005
Thanks for the information

Just want to say thanks for all the info. I just bought a 20 gallon set up from a friend who is moving. My problem is he has so many filters and items I have no clue how to set them all up. I did not see it when he had it working. He told me the only problem he had was his fish kept dieing and they people at pet smart told him it was because he didnt have enough O2 in the tank. *crazysmil
I have tried to set up the filter system and at this time have not managed to figure out this mess. I am at the point where I may go to the pet store and just buy one good filter system and install it. Do you recommend any one in particular? I have never set up a tank this size I am excited to get it up and running. Another question is I have well water which does not have clorine, do I still need to treat the water?
Thanks for your help *twirlysmi

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
I split this post into a new thread because I think we'll probably need some more input for your issue skydancer.

I think you might do well to treat your water with a water conditioner anyway, because most of them also take out some minerals/metals that might exist in your well water even if there isn't chlorine.

I dont suppose you could get us a picture of all of the filters? For a 20G tank you'll probably only need one good power filter...just kind of depends what types are there. If you can't get us a picture could you try describing the pieces to us? Try to figure out how many filters you have, how many things do you have that plug in?

Not having enough oxygen really shouldn't be a problem...and many times petsmart employees have no idea what the problem is so they just spout off something and get you to buy another product.

Do you have a heater?

phOOey

Superstar Fish
Oct 31, 2003
Nottingham, UK
i had the exagt same problem when i bought a fluval external filter, man there confusing.

if you can give us a the name of filter, or even just a general wordthat it says on it could help us try and figure this out for you.