Setting up my sump, a few questions

dbacksrat

Superstar Fish
Jun 3, 2003
Glendale, AZ
Visit site
I've been reading through Melev's sump FAQ and have a solid idea of how to turn a regular old tank into a decent sump, but there are a couple questions that were not addressed.
I have a 20L, measuring 30x12x12. I need 4 baffles, one right before the refugium to contain the skimmer, and three for my bubble trap. Here are my questions:
1) How tall should my bubble trap baffles be? The middle pane is supposed to be an inch off the ground, so it's going to be roughly 10" tall. How tall should the other two be? I'm concerned about these being too tall because of a lower water level.
2) How tall should that very first baffle be that separates the skimmer chamber from the fuge? Should the water just flow over this baffle?

I can get pieces of glass cut at a hardware store or a glass shop for very low prices, so I figure if I mess up then no big deal.

I think that's all I had to ask because I've been toggling back and forth between sites and have lost all my steam.
Thanks in advance for your feedback.

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
First of all work out how much water will flow bac in to the tank thro' the reurn pump until your anti syphon kicks in. Then allow space for that + an inch. I would be assuming a total height of about 8 inches after that.

That means 3 7 inch baffles?
And the first about 8.

What will you do with the fuge - macroalage?