Setting up some equipment

Jan 7, 2007
Mississippi
After my fishtank was (sadly, I know) stored away for a period of two years, I have pulled it out and cleaned it up completely. It's not small but then again, neither is my apartment. So here is the problem...

I don't have the instruction booklet, but I have a bunch of stuff and am not sure how to connect it all correctly. I have the following:

A 2.5 gallon acrylic tank with lid and light
A Profile 1000 air pump
Some hoses of two different gauges
A black filter that goes under the gravel
Blue rocks and fake plants
An airstone on a hard plastic tube

I know that all sounds crazy, but I want to make sure that everything is set up correctly. Can anyone help, please?

Seleya

Superstar Fish
Nov 22, 2004
Cape Cod, MA
Visit site
What you have is a very basic set-up which is only suitable for couple small fish such as a betta or quarantine. If you want to set it up the way it was designed for: the black filter goes on the bottom -- there should be a tube which attaches to the top of that (perhaps one of the hoses) and leads to the airpump; the gravel and plants go on top of that; the other tube should go from the pump to the airstone (the tube you mention is coming out from the airstone, correct?); the pump sits behind the tank. You can also get powerfilters suitable for tanks of that size which would be the better option.

Your next step once you get that set up, will be to cycle the tank. There's a good sticky at the top of this forum explaining the steps involved.

Have fun with your tank and welcome to ours! :)