SG Drop

Jun 15, 2005
Mesa, AZ
Is it normal for SG to drop from 1.024 to 1.022 over the course of a few hours? I don't have a heater on the cube, so maybe I should consider purchasing one. Is this potentially fatal to critters? I have a hunch that it'll go back up to 1.024 in the morning when it gets a bit warmer in my room.

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
Salinity depends on temperature. So, if the temperature of the tank is changing, then your salinity is probably technically the same, and it'll go back up when the tank warms up. If your tank is changing temperature that much, you probably do want a heater (no reason not to, right?).

Jun 15, 2005
Mesa, AZ
Well to answer some questions:

1. Kahlua, I'm actually using a refracometer.

2. SeaStar, the cubes don't come with a heater, and I haven't found one that'll fit concealably into the back of it quite yet.

3. CAPSLOCK, yup, I want a heater, but again, not quite sure on one that'll fit into the back and be concealable. Also, to note, there's no place for a cord to run out the back and still have the lid sit flush on the top.

Thanks everyone for the input. I'll look into a heater, as soon as I can find one recommended for the cube or if someone can give me a recommendation, that'd be great. Thanks again guys!

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
But SG doesdown as temperature goes up.... have you calibrated the refractometer, keeping it clean.

People think refractometers are sacred, but they're no other than any other tool