Shaky Clownfish

Jan 9, 2005
Visit site
So my clownfish shakes randomly, a little convulse type shake. It's not all the time, but does anyone know if this is a disease or not? I know fish with ich will shake, but i always thought it was against something in order to relieve of the "itch".

any ideas? Medications?

Jan 9, 2005
Visit site
It looks normal, i've compared it to others i've seen on the internet. Although if you still wanna see it, i can find a picture really quick maybe.

i've had it around 3 weeks now, and his partner clownfish seems fine.

what's this clownfish disease?

jammerz

Large Fish
Feb 28, 2005
Boise
CRAzy you ask....i had 2 clarkii clowns, when the bigger dominent fish would approach the smaller fish the fish after the big fish would turn around the smaller fish would tweek out!! Like a small spasm or 1/2 or full second mini seizure. It was crazy when i first saw him do it. but he always ate seemed fine no white spots. I traded them for some other fish cuz they were to territorial. but i guess the guy that has him now says he does the same thing. At first i thought i might hhave electrical current ungrounded in my tank but none of the other fish did it. this fish been doing this for bout 4 to 5 months as far as i know. I would definetly be worried bout the hard breathing! crazy though never hearrd of anyone else having that problem. lemme know what ya think

S.Reef

Superstar Fish
Dec 1, 2003
Michigan
Clownfish disease infects about 80-90 percent of wild caught clownfish. Its a parasite that infects the gills usually killing the fish within a few days. Signs of the disease are rapid breatging, listlessness, loss of appetite, and eventually a white mucus covering the fish...if you have none of these signs, then good.

Jan 9, 2005
Visit site
wow are you serious, i cant beleive so many of them have it. So far i seem ok, i think he should be alright but we'll see.

Jammerz were you trying to tell me i should worry, or shouldn't? from what i gather you think it's just natural?

JEP

Small Fish
Mar 22, 2005
Elgin, IL
I have 2 tank raised common clownfish that I bought 2 weeks ago and I noticed one of them doing the same thing. I've only seen it happen twice, they are both the same size (1.5 in.) and I don't know if it was the same one that did it both times. What I saw was 1 of the clowns swam up next to the other, convulsed for a second, then swam away. I thought this was strange too. Both eat like crazy and seem very happy so I don't know what it is. Maybe it's a mating thing?

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
clowns do tend to exhibit a sort of shaking behavior when they have nothing to host in...often they will swim to the bottom and stir up the sandbed with their rear while swimming backward...could be doing that

dbacksrat

Superstar Fish
Jun 3, 2003
Glendale, AZ
Visit site
at night, i have seen mine laying down on it's side on the sand--i thought it was dead, but upon thorough and extensive inspection, i saw nothing to be suspicous of--so i built him a cave of LR and that seemed to solve the problem (nowhere to host)

S.Reef

Superstar Fish
Dec 1, 2003
Michigan
If he swam up to the other clownfish, and they are the same size, one is trying to become the dominant one. Shouldnt have anything to worry about.

May 24, 2007
My fish do the same thing too... the smaller of the two approaches the larger one...they are both really young, but one has already started getting bigger than the other...anywho, when he approaches her every once in a while he will turn on this side or go completely vertical and start to seizure for like a half second...it looks kind of funny, but i was worried... so i talked to the fish expert at my fish store and she said it is just the male showing the female that she is more dominant than him... Both my fish look really healthy and eat very well. definately keep an eye on the heavy breathing though. Hope this helps...

CoolWaters

Superstar Fish
Dec 10, 2006
Milpitas
its natural my clowns do that too....ist some sort of mating dance..so i heard. only my small clown does it and its been months with no negative outcomes.

iv been inspecting them and nothing abnormal...just need to get a fire shrimp to clean off the dead skins......