sharing a tank

Thomas

New Fish
May 20, 2005
NSW
Can some one give me some advice please? I have 1 male gourami in an 18l heated tank. i also have 2 female bettas in separate 2litre tanks. would it be ok if I put the bettas in with the gourami, just for the winter, cause its getting chilly now & the bettas have no heater. the betta females have never shared a tank since ive had them (6 months) so im worried that they will fight. will the gourami attack them? he is a dwarf one. the 18l tank has an inside filter that is 6.5w. i think it might be too strong for the bettas as well. There are lots of plants in there too. I have 1 male betta, but i know he cant go in there too, i can put a lamp on him to keep warm. Thanks
Thomas

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
Hmm...I'm not real great with the conversions...is the 18l big enough to where you could divide the tank up a bit? You could put them together and give them lots of plants etc to hide in and get away from each other...and if some fighting starts up, put in some dividers and they'll deal with it? Otherwise you could look into other ways to keep their seperate tanks warmer...

phOOey

Superstar Fish
Oct 31, 2003
Nottingham, UK
18 litres is just over 5g i think. if you put them all together there is a pretty high chance that the male will attack them, i guess you could try it, but i doubt it would work. you might want to try dividing you tank into 3 using some type of glass or plastic.