SHARK! OY!!

drater

New Fish
Sep 22, 2005
Hey all! SOO i came back from class and my banded bamboo shark hatched from his egg! crrrrazy!! BUT he's a bit early, i wasn't completely prepared for him to arrive so early (was expecting a month from now). SO i have a 30gallon right now, moving it to a 55 within the month (i know, the shark needs more room, i'm only keeping him for a while before he moves on to a new happy family)

anyhow, i have 3 20watt flourescents running, and some blue christmas lights as night lights, will he be ok? should i turn some lights off and run on less? any thoughts? there is a cave he hides in, and some kelp, seems like a mellow little guy

i'll get a picture up soon

S.Reef

Superstar Fish
Dec 1, 2003
Michigan
Yeah what Occfan asked about....in the long run you need a bigger tank...probably about a year he will outgrow the 55 gallon. If you dont have live rock make sure to get a few big peieces...lighting is not much of an issue, just keep it on a regular schedrule and yes, they are quite mellow.

drater

New Fish
Sep 22, 2005
hey! yeah sorry didn't add that, i have an emperor 280 i believe, and 28lbs of live rock, it's a FOWLR tank with a couple clowns and a couple damsels, hopefully they wont be attacked

S.Reef

Superstar Fish
Dec 1, 2003
Michigan
I would get into the 55 asap!! you need a better filter and a skimmer....even at that size sharks can give off a lot of waste plus you have other fish.

OCCFan023

Superstar Fish
Jul 29, 2004
New Jersey
drater said:
Hey all! SOO i came back from class and my banded bamboo shark hatched from his egg! crrrrazy!!
are you the teacher of the class? I would reccomend investing in that 55 (if not bigger) asap as SReef said. Maybe you could put in something at the school for a new setup for the classroom and get to setup a real nice tank(Depending on the school budget)?

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
I know Scott Michael recommends at least 180 gallons for an adult (and that doesn't mean a 180 tall either), but most people think that really is scraping the bottom of any practical range.