Should I Add Ammonia?

garyr

Small Fish
Sep 5, 2007
My tank has cycled and I've added a fish. Should I continue adding a small amount of ammonia until the tank is fully stocked with fish? Thanks.

sdivell

Medium Fish
Jul 20, 2007
Ottawa, Ontario
What type of fish did u buy and how many? ...size of tank?

after asking that here is my gut feeling.
Ammonia = Toxic to fish.... so no don't add ammonia. The fish will be creating ammonia naturally anyway to feed your bacteria and continue to keep the 'cycle' alive.

Just keep an eye on your params and as long as your Ammonia and Nitrites are at 0ppm you are in good shape. If you see any ammonia or nitrites in your water then you must start doing water changes to keep them below toxic levels.

garyr

Small Fish
Sep 5, 2007
What type of fish did u buy and how many? ...size of tank?

after asking that here is my gut feeling.
Ammonia = Toxic to fish.... so no don't add ammonia. The fish will be creating ammonia naturally anyway to feed your bacteria and continue to keep the 'cycle' alive.

Just keep an eye on your params and as long as your Ammonia and Nitrites are at 0ppm you are in good shape. If you see any ammonia or nitrites in your water then you must start doing water changes to keep them below toxic levels.

I bought two angelfish, but one died after two days. It's now four days and the remaining angel seems to be doing well, although it's still getting used to the tank. The tank is 55 gallons.

I still test the water every day. I just wondered if the bacteria levels would drop with only one fish in the tank and be too low when I add more fish if I didn't add ammonia. I would suppose that the tank could be balanced at low levels as well as at high levels. But, I'm new at this and don't really know.

Thanks for your reply.

sdivell

Medium Fish
Jul 20, 2007
Ottawa, Ontario
angels are not very hardy fish and you may have trouble with them in an unestablished tank (from what i've read, not from experience)

I would recommend getting a couple hardy fish (platies, danios) and put them in.. they do well in new tanks and will feed your tank with ammonia.

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
Definitely do not add ammonia to a tank with fish in it. The bacteria will catch up as you slowly add fish.

Angelfish need careful drip acclimation. If you just throw them in the tank after floating the bag for 20 mins, they more often than not don't make it.

Sep 11, 2005
Philadelphia
www.myspace.com
Additionally, it takes a good quality angel to make for a successful specimen. Most of what they sell at pet stores are so terribly inbred that they are anything but hardy. And also often sadly lacking in parental instincts should they breed.

Try to get the closest to the wild type (or if you want to shell out the money - the wild type) as you can. Usually they are labeled as "silver" angels. The more red in their eyes, the better. I went through dozens of junk angels until I bought the current pair of silver almost wild types who have been showing good health. Also, adults will do better than juveniles.