Should I buy Tom Aquatics Rapids Mini Canister Filter C-80

zmarcoz

Small Fish
Sep 29, 2007
Dear all,

I want to buy Tom Aquatics Rapids Mini Canister Filter C-80, but I am not sure whether it is good. I have only a whisper 10 filter in my 10 gal tank. I think it is not good enough for it working alone, so I want to get a cheap canister filter. Please give me some suggestion

thanks*twirlysmi

Sep 3, 2007
Southeast USA
For a 10G, I can't say I'd mess with that. I'd probably buy a nice oversized AquaClear HOB. IMO, AquaClear all the way for a regular 10G. Either way, I'm into good over-filtration so I'd probably buy something that was a bit larger and more capable. A friend of mine went and bought one of the smaller Fluval canisters (I cannot recall which model) for his 10G and he seems to like it.

I'm sure it'd probably be fine, but I can't say I'd do it because I've not seen these before. I'd definitely go with something more mainstream. Parts availability and servicing might an issue in case of a problem arising...

Anyone else care to chime in on this one?
-HSFT

Orion

Ultimate Fish
Feb 10, 2003
Kentucky
www.thefishcave.net
I bought one, and I can't that I've been really impressed with it. To me it seems like a duetto internal filter on crack. It's difficult to get setup correct, limited media options and low flow rate. I might go with one of the other options mentioned here.

Sep 11, 2005
Philadelphia
www.myspace.com
Unless you are concerned with the idea of reduced surface agitation to keep in CO2, or you want to direct your water flow in a particular manner, there really is no reason to use anything fancier than a good HOB filter for a 10g tank. An Aquaclear, Penguin, or Whisper would be all you need to keep a great system.