Should i take my gourami back?

Jun 28, 2003
UK
Visit site
I have some newly bought gouramis but one of them, the bigger of the lot, is consistantly chasing the other peaceful ones around.
Would it be a good idea to take this one back to the shop and get a quieter one? It's a shame though because that one is my favourite :(

What should i do?

Angelfish

Superstar Fish
Apr 14, 2003
Valencia, California.
Yes, I would exchange him, the same thing happend with my gouramis, the larger chased the smaller for months, it used to hide constantly until I put more plants in. It doesnt usually get better, Id try a different one. Good luck =)

Jun 28, 2003
UK
Visit site
Yeah i think i'll force myslef to part with it, it's such a shame though, it's the nicest one of the lot (the one pictured in the avatar, hopefully if it worked!)
I'll have to eave it until Sunday unfortunately, as i'm at a carnival tomorrow!

Leopardess

Superstar Fish
I've got to disagree with that last bit of info - simply based on my experience. I have three neon dwarfs in a 10g and they are fine and dandy. Just make sure you have a lot (I mean LOTS) of vegetation (real or fake)...that will cut down on each fish fighting for a territory. Gouramis aren't so much "aggressive" as they are "territorial". Also, I have two pearl gouramis in my 55g (soon to be added: one platinum gourami and maybe a gold gourami). HOWEVER, I will agree with the fact that gouramis are like male bettas in that they have LOTS of personality. You could get a really mean one, or a really laid back one. It just kind of depends.

You might try added many more hiding places if you are heartbroken about having to return it.

edit: although, some say that, like some cichlids, keeping many can cut down on aggression...either way, I'd either have one gourami, or more than two. This way the bigger one won't harass the smaller one. (thankfully, my two pearls are a male/female pair and are in love! awww)

Jun 25, 2003
Visit site
i think both mike and leopardess are somewhat correct.

you shouldn't keep two males together, but i think if you have a male and some females and enough hiding spaces, then you should be fine. usually its okay to have more than one, just not two males.

Vinh

Medium Fish
Jun 25, 2003
Visit site
When you buy gourami make sure they came from the same tank or you can get them few from a few shops but try and get them in your tank at the same time, this way they all be new and picking on each other wont be so bad.

I got a small dwarf gourami and next 2 day got another 1 from the same place, same tank, they agreesive against each other.. the orange one die just a day after, not to sure why. so i went to another place and got 2 gourami that were like full szie dwarf gourami, I notice the big new blue one was being picked on by the small one. They still do but not very much anymore.

I have never saw the 2 big ones from different tanks but brought the same day hassle each other.

My tank is 41gallons and 3 are living fine. You get the rare agreesiveness.

dana307

Large Fish
Jan 6, 2003
Massachusetts
I had an aggressive male that harassed my female to no end. Occassionally I would net him for a few hours and that seemed to help. He, being newer to the tank, was more docile. Eventually though I returned him. Blue gour in this case.

Jun 28, 2003
UK
Visit site
I was told it is a blue gourami. I haven't removed it yet, i can't decide.
Someone said only one per tank but the others i have are perfectly fine together, they actively seek each other out, it's just the big one.
I'll keep you posted on what i do.

Angelfish

Superstar Fish
Apr 14, 2003
Valencia, California.
Blues and goldens do not like to be kept with members of the same species. I know this from personal experience and the experience of others. Like catfishmike already said, if you want more than two goruamis, get dwarfs because they are an exception.
If it is thefish featured in your avatar it is a blue gourami. (beautiful by the way).

Jun 28, 2003
UK
Visit site
It is the one featured at the avatar, you can see why i'm reluctant to get rid of it, the others aren't half as nice.
I didnt have time to do anything about it this weekend so i'll see what happens through the week.

Jul 8, 2003
New Jersey
How come everybody saids that dwarf gouramis are the exception. I have two males while one is larger than the other. The smaller is always being harassed. I think I should return the aggressive one and get a female. Would an isolation tank work? Maybe I should add a whole bunch of plants.

10 Gal: A Marble Angel, and two male dwarf gouramis.

slurpor

Large Fish
Jun 21, 2003
CA
Visit site
I had 3 dwarf gouramis (2 blue, 1 red) in a 10g, bought from the same place. The 2 larger blues seemed to enjoy each other, though they sparred a lot. They picked on the smaller red one, and he mostly hid in the plants (I should have taken him back to the lfs). I left for 3 days, and the largest blue died for reasons unknown- he didn't show any sign of disease before I left. Of the two remaining fish- the red looked terrible. His color was dark, and he looked ragged. I medicated, and he looked better the next day- then died. The remaining blue looks perfectly healthy- and has always been the most active. I hope he stays healthy and doesn't just drop dead tomorrow for no reason- but I wouldn't be surprised. I love gouramis, but unusual behavior seems to be the norm from what some people say.

I think it is a good idea to get 3 dwarfs of the same color and close to the same size as possible. If you want variety, maybe 2 reds and 2 blues of comparable size- that way no one gets singled out.