should I turn the powerhead on??

zmarcoz

Small Fish
Sep 29, 2007
Hi,

I bought a water powerhead yesterday. I set the water flow to be minium, and I turn it on overnight. This morning, I see 2 out of ~50 guppies dead. (No fish dead in last month). I know that one of the dead fish just give many baby fish that maybe a reason which cause her weaker. But, should I turn of the powerhead? I connect the air pump to the water head, so I will need to off the airpump too if I turn off the powerhead.

Dec 3, 2007
Fry (baby fish) don't generally do too well with a lot of water movement, as they aren't strong enough to swim constantly yet and it could be pretty stressful. so if you're breeding in this tank you might not want the powerhead on.

I'll second MissFishy's question about why you added a powerhead - they do create strong currents; if you're simply trying to add circulation you may just need a more powerful filter, or a water pump. it could also be a matter of repositioning the return flow from your filter for better water movement.

If you do turn it off while you look into this question, you should unhook your air pump from it and re-install that, so that your fish don't suffer a sudden loss of oxygen!

Pearl
(Resident fish nerd at AquariumGuys.com)

100$ in prizes! Enter our Festive photo contest by Dec. 14!

Last edited: