Should I?

VirgoWolf

Superstar Fish
Feb 16, 2006
Michigan
OK, here's the deal. I was not looking for a tank, but we have been considering having seahorses and maybe some other corals or something, and I came across someone moving out of state and they want to unload their 30gal SW tank fast, so they're letting it go kinda cheap. This is the decription I got, I guess I will ask more detail if hubby says yes and it sounds like a worthy deal. Let me know what you think...

30gal tank, stand, sump tank, pump, bio-ball filter system, live rock, stone, top (partial top), heater, and lights, $150.

Even worth considering? What else would I need to get? Anything? (I have salt and a hydrometer for my brackish tank)

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
Do you know how many lbs of live rock that is and what type it is (whether its good light stuff or just some base rock)

Honestly though if you were looking at keeping seahorses you might want to keep looking. You need a very tall tall tank for them.

If you were just looking to get a SW tank setup to learn more of the ropes and get some critters in there I think that setup for 150 sounds like a very good deal! Especially if its a fair amount of live rock...since you can pay over $10/lb for it.

Edit: oh and you might want to invest in a refractometer unless you have a super duper hydrometer instead of the swingarm kind.

Last edited:

VirgoWolf

Superstar Fish
Feb 16, 2006
Michigan
No details at this point, I was going to talk it over with hubby tonight before I go asking all of the details.

Hummm... I am new to SW, but I assumed a 30gal would be plenty big for sea horses, mostly I see them in 12/24gal nano cubes and such, would this not work for them?

Yeah, I just have a cheapie Instant Ocean swing arm. I'll have to look into that.

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
I wish I had more info on the sea horses for you...but my knowledge of them is limited to what I've read and what a friend has told me with his keeping some. If you keep full sized sea horses you want at least I think its like 30 inches of water height. (Dwarfs of course could be kept in something smaller)...but we're not talkin any easy undertaking. They eat like horses (pun intended lol) and are very sensitive to a lot of things (like air, bacteria etc) I can give you the contact info for my friend that has them (or at least he did last time we talked) if you'd like?

VirgoWolf

Superstar Fish
Feb 16, 2006
Michigan
Humm, well hubby's had them before, so I am sure he knows a bit about them. Any good links? I'd much rather read about them than bother someone when we aren't even sure we're getting them, you know? I am not sure about alot of things LOL, that's why I had nothing to say about anything untill I talked to you guys and hubby. :)