Should my first fishtank be a Saltwater tank?

JasFish

Small Fish
Aug 5, 2004
Visit site
Or should I start freshwater? A guy down the street has a massive amount of saltwater (its all nice too) gear for sale, because he had a 150 gallon saltwater tank.

He wants ~300 for it, I could get him down to 250 most likely, and I was wondering if it would be worth going down the saltwater route.

I'd eventually like to have a saltwater tank, however I do not know if they are harder to keep than freshwater for a beginner.

Thanks.

TurbineSurgeon

Superstar Fish
Feb 27, 2004
Dallas, TX
Visit site
It's not that saltwater is necessarilly harder than freshwater, it's that saltwater is a lot more expensive, so any mistakes are much more costly.

With that in mind, I would suggest freshwater for the learning curve, and also to help you decide if fishkeeping is really something you like and have time for.

$300 for a 150 gallon setup is a great deal. For the most part, a tank is a tank, and most things that are required for a saltwater setup are also applicable to a freshwater tank. In fact, my planted 75 gallon tank was originally purchased used and was saltwater. I had it set up that way for a couple of years until a disease outbreak wiped out about $300 worth of fish in one day (see what I mean about what I said earlier?).

Any of the saltwater specific things it might include such as a protein skimmer, actinic bulbs, etc. could be stored in case you decide to take the salty plunge later.

ecotank

Superstar Fish
Aug 30, 2003
Palm Springs, Ca
home.earthlink.net
Aside from money, saltwater does require a bit more research and learning. Aside from that I see no reason your first tank couldn't be saltwater as long as you have the extra money and willingness to read and learn all you can before starting. I do think that freshwater is a good stepping stone though, and it does let you know how much you enjoy the hobby.

LadySarah

Large Fish
Aug 4, 2004
Gresham, Oregon
Visit site
Saltwater is a lot more expensive. Especially just when talking about the price of the fish alone. It would suck to be all set up and then not be able to afford any fish. I would probably take the time to research fish for both and see what you really like and how much it would cost you.