Show me the light......

Sep 10, 2006
Ok, I am looking into getting a new light or system for the tank.

The tank that I have is 18"by20". Ths light that i have is 18"' long.
So you think that I can just get this bolb
18" (NO, T8) 20,000K Daylight ,15W -Coralife
or 18" (VHO, T12) 50/50 Actinic/White, 30W -URI
for my tank and still have reef???
I would like to get one a lunar light to. How would you think that I could go about this???
Should I just get a new system?? With a light and luar, do they make them this little???

I hope that someone can help me with this.

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2005
st. louis area
because of the depth you would be very limited for a reef. Mushrooms and zoos maybe some other softies but you could buy a much better light for not much more than what you'll pay for the vho setup. 30 watts is just not much at all, the light will not penetrate very deeply.
I vote for a 70 or 150 watt mh system or at least a pc system. Flourescents will cost more in the long run than mh due to the more frequent bulb replacements. I know the upfront costs can be scary but remember that it's an investment.

Sep 10, 2006
Ok the other day I went out and got a "Deluxe Series Aqualight" this one has 4 lights in it.......It is a 20 inch long light with 96 watts IS THAT GOOD? What should I not have in the tank that needs more light then this????
Then today I got a ATINIC LIGHT(spl?) that I am going to use at night time.
CAN ANYONE TELL ME WHAT I SHOULD NOT HAVE IN THIS TANK WITH THAT KIND OF LIGHT.
fish outa wata said:
because of the depth you would be very limited for a reef. Mushrooms and zoos maybe some other softies but you could buy a much better light for not much more than what you'll pay for the vho setup. 30 watts is just not much at all, the light will not penetrate very deeply.
I vote for a 70 or 150 watt mh system or at least a pc system. Flourescents will cost more in the long run than mh due to the more frequent bulb replacements. I know the upfront costs can be scary but remember that it's an investment.

Last edited: