Shrimp Dead or Hiding?

Grymatta

Large Fish
May 16, 2005
I think one of my Amano shrimps molted cause I can see parts of his shell lying there on the gravel. However, I havent seen him for about 2-3 days and I'm wondering if he really did molt...or just died/got eaten.

Is there any way to tell if a shrimp really molted vs. dying and having its body consumed? If a fish ate his dead body..would they leave the shell?

TLH

Large Fish
Jun 27, 2005
Northants;England
Hmm,I don't know if they would leave the shell or not,it's rather tough though.Take it out and see if the legs are hollow and whether it has a split in the back.

Most likely it's in hiding.I sometimes don't see mine for an age then they just appear again.They are very hardy,I wouldn't worry too much about him.

iamcowboy

Large Fish
Jan 14, 2007
Crandall, TX
If your tank is planted medium to heavy, I would say probably hiding. I have about 8 but can rarely find more than 3 or 4 at one time. The only way I can keep count is usually immediately following a water change and plant pruning.

Grymatta

Large Fish
May 16, 2005
the shell is in two halves...one with the tail on it and another with just the legs. It looks like a molted shell but I cant be too sure.

I have a planted tank with neon tetras, one dwarf gouarmi, an otto, and an ADF...

Grymatta

Large Fish
May 16, 2005
yeah...I think hes hiding. I left half an algae wafer to feed my otto last night but the otto didnt like the wafer. When I woke up this morning..something had eaten the whole thing. I know all my fishes and ADF dont like the wafer.....so it must have been the shrimp.

BTW...what kind of algae wafers are you supposed to feed ottos? I tried the green kind by Hikari thats made for plecos but my otto didnt like it....

TLH

Large Fish
Jun 27, 2005
Northants;England
Starve him for a couple of days then give him another.He'll probably eat it then.Fish get used to the same foods and sometimes won't eat others straight away without a little creative encouragement.