Shrimp-Eating Betta

Jul 6, 2004
Massachusetts
Visit site
I bought 4 ghost shrimp today to put into my Betta tank.I knew that there would be a possibility of them being killed/eaten by the betta, however, now my (stupid) betta has me worried.

The shrimp hadn't even been in there half an hour when the betta tried to eat one. When I saw it, the shrimp was half sticking out of the Betta's mouth. It stayed like that for at least a minute or two. I was about to grab a net and some tweezers when the Betta finally spit the thing out. I thought that he was choking, he even went up to the top a couple of times to try and take a breath with the shrimp in his mouth.

That was at least an hour ago, and the Betta hasn't tried to eat another shrimp yet. Do you think he learned his lesson? Should I move the remaining shrimp to my 55g tank? Should I leave them where they are and see what happens? I don't care about the shrimp really, just my betta.

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
My betta hates anything in the tank with him. He'll kill shrimp on sight. I've even seen him flare at a snail before taking it in his mouth and bashing it on the side of the tank :eek:

I would assume your betta won't like the shrimp, and will kill them all eventually. I doubt it will harm the betta, though.

if he'll go after them once, he'll ALWAYS go after them. After a while, he'll figure out how to eat them so he won't choke too HEHE

I only have 1 betta out of 4 that will allow shrimp in his tank, and that's mostly just cause he's old and can't see well, so I'm not sure he even knows they are there LOL ...all my other guys kill shrimp on sight...not even java moss provides protection, they will just bushwack thru it.

ozziegt

Large Fish
Feb 26, 2005
Hmm...I'm guessing I shouldn't get a betta then if I have amano shrimp in my tank. I have a shelf for them to hide under...and the hygro as well...but it sounds like even there they might get hunted down...

phOOey

Superstar Fish
Oct 31, 2003
Nottingham, UK
lol, when i read the title i thought you were talking about shrimps eating a betta :D

i had a betta with amano shrimps, he didnt bother them when they weren't moving, but when the swan around the tank he would chase them and try to eat them... a bit like the t-rex from jurassic park :eek:

ozziegt

Large Fish
Feb 26, 2005
phOOey said:
lol, when i read the title i thought you were talking about shrimps eating a betta :D

i had a betta with amano shrimps, he didnt bother them when they weren't moving, but when the swan around the tank he would chase them and try to eat them... a bit like the t-rex from jurassic park :eek:
Did he ever get them or were they too quick? I have notice my amanos are VERY fast if they want to be.