Shrimp pellets good for everyone?

TrpTwlght

Medium Fish
Jun 5, 2005
Tucson, AZ
www.authorhouse.com
A school of corys recently became the main fish in my 10 gallon tank. And as everyone knows they eat shrimp pellets. Well I noticed when I feed them, the mollies, guppie and sharks eagerly eat the shrimp right along with the corys. Sooo, do I still need to throw in tropical flakes for the other fish? Or will they all be okay eating a diet of shrimp?

And just curious, but is there is special food for the sharks?

Aug 23, 2005
bellaire, ohio
id mix it up a little bit, flakes and pellets, maybe some other treats, i throw in an algae wafer for my pl*co every few days but everyone eats on it. actually ive yet to see the pl*co eat much of it, but i usually throw it in when i turn the lights out.

svetlana

Large Fish
Feb 16, 2005
Gaithersburg, MD
home.uchicago.edu
If you look carefully on the container, it says that the pellets are supplemental and should not exeed 5-15% of daily diet.
The thing is that schrimp smell is very attractive especially for catfish. If you try some real schrimp for them you'll see how they go crazy.
I drop the pellet every other day or rarer. Even my cichlids like them.
We always need to look at nutritional value and vitamin contents on every food we are giving them. You need to tweak protein/fat/fiber contents for them to be healthy and pooping healthy :)

Sep 11, 2005
Philadelphia
www.myspace.com
Most fish will simply eat anything that is edible. You could throw almost any type of fish food into a community aquarium and expect it to get devoured.

Just always make sure you're feeding a variety of foods. Just like humans, fish need a balanced diet; though it is good to customize things a bit for certain fish. For example my Asian tank has a female betta and a three spot gourami, and since both of those fish are used to having a protein based diet, they get a few bloodworms with each flake feeding....though as you may assume, the other fish get to the bloodworms too! *SUNSMILE*

So naturally expect that each feeding will be a communal meal for all of your fish, no matter what you throw in there. (Though I have found that buffalo wings don't go over very well in anything but a pirahna tank.)