shrimp tank

BettaBabe

Small Fish
Jan 21, 2014
I'm excited to see the tank once it's set up and planted. I've always wNted to do a planted tank with some bumblebee shrimp(that's kind if the generic word, I forget the real name) and a big school of green neon tetras. Those are also about $5 a pop so a big school is expensive.... But they look sweeeet swimming up above the plants!

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
since adult BN plecos may eat shrimp, it is best to o with full vegetarians like farowella catfish and otocinclus.

BB the shrimp you are thinking of are crystal shrimp. they are very nice, but for some (like me) are a pain to keep/breed. Crystal shrimp like cool, soft and acidic water.

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
although some plecos will eat what they can from snails when they are hungry (slime) i don't think a BN can actually kill something as big as a mystery snail. those have trap doors dont they?

BettaBabe

Small Fish
Jan 21, 2014
We'll I caught him devouring he first one, then the second one was gone about a week later. There's a good chance they were dying already though, but I never figured out why they would die and nothing else did... Either way he was happy for the meal!

MdngtRain

Large Fish
Jan 9, 2011
New England
BB, I love the green enons and recently found a store that has them for $2/each...

to the OP (freshy?) I can;t wait to see it all set up. I would love a shrimp tank some day, but will live icariously through you at the moment. ;)

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
I like the look of the black neons too. Had a school of 6 I think at one point, unfortunately found they were kinda boring behavior-wise. Probably more interesting in a planted tank and with a good number of them. Though I seem to see a lot of tetras are less than exciting in their daily lives.

exhumed07

Superstar Fish
Apr 30, 2006
Illinois
mine are very calm most of the time in a loose school. kinda scattered across the tank just swimming in and out of the plants. my 55 planted for the most part is a very calm tank. not real super active fish. even my cories tend to be pretty calm. my panda garra are the most active of the fish in that tank.

Also got my new filter for this shrimp tank today. the all mighty penguin biowheel 100 lol. now just need to wait on my lfs to figure out the plants and then the shrimp. then the tank will be off and rolling.

FreshyFresh

Superstar Fish
Jan 11, 2013
East Aurora, NY
I agree on the neons. Colorful little buggers, but boring. The 8 I have in my 20L just kind of calmly drift/twitch about. I've had them about a year now. The 4 blood-fins in with them never stop flying about and the little honey gourami in with them is a nasty bugger. It's the littlest 'conventional' looking gourami I've ever seen. It's only about the size of a quarter and turns from tan/silvery color to an evil black when it's feeling extra nasty. Never any signs of harm or stress to the others though. Any attacks are on the blood-fins.

The emerald corys are plastering the glass with eggs often now, but I don't have a means (or a want really) to try to harvest/raise them. I've never seen a fry or an egg in the process of hatching- or if they can even hatch. Have no idea.

Last edited:

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
would serpae tetras fin nip larger fish like an angel? I am looking for tetras for my tank too. i like lemon and diamonds but LFS rarely get them in.

EDIT: nevermind, they would eat the angel's fins...

Last edited:

Thyra

Superstar Fish
Jun 2, 2010
Yelm, WA
My serpaes have been with my angel for years with no problems. I have heard if you keep them in a school of at least four there are no problems. They seem to play with each other. My angel's body is silver dollar size with fins that make the vertical span about 4+ inches and they are all intact. Before I got him he was in tank with a single serpae - don't know if that means anything or not.

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
does your angel have long flowing fins? (i dont mean longfin breed, just long strings from the fins) Mine is 7" vertical and body is about palm sized. i would hate it if any nippy tetras messed up the fin extensions on her haha. I'll have to keep looking for those lemon tetras then.

Sorry to thread jack a bit.
i don't really think tetras are a great choice in a shrimp tank because they will eat the young shrimp. dense planting does help to some extent.

exhumed07

Superstar Fish
Apr 30, 2006
Illinois
I'm staying away from tetras. think i'm going to go with small fish like half beaks and endlers. small fish like that, that will pretty much stick to the surface of the tanks where the shrimp will dominate the rest of the tank and be unharmed.

FreshyFresh

Superstar Fish
Jan 11, 2013
East Aurora, NY
does your angel have long flowing fins? (i dont mean longfin breed, just long strings from the fins) Mine is 7" vertical and body is about palm sized. i would hate it if any nippy tetras messed up the fin extensions on her haha. I'll have to keep looking for those lemon tetras then.
If I let the plants in my 55 grow a little too wild, my angel (long flowing fins) has a hard time getting about. Then the goof tries to plow through the plants to get at food at feeding time. By the time he gets a few bits, the other hogs in the tank pretty much consume everything.

Thyra

Superstar Fish
Jun 2, 2010
Yelm, WA
I would say it has long flowing fins - its a veil tail angel and those slender spikes that come from near the front of the body are longer than the fish by a bit. I just looked at an angelfish site trying to find out if those spikes at a specific name and in the process found a list of compatible fish and serpaes were listed in the group but it said the angel would eat any guppies or neons.