Shrimps and rams?

dt007

Small Fish
Jul 21, 2009
I currently keep 5 amano shrimp in my 29g tank and I'm planning to add a few more, but I also want to add a centerpiece fish and I've narrowed it down to either the dwarf gourami or the bolivian ram. I'm leaning towards the ram as it seems to be less common and a little more hardy but it looks like it might eat the shrimp. Is it safe to put rams in the tank?

Also, should I really use the 1 inch per gallon guideline for a fish that's 3-4" long? It seems really inaccurate as they are like 10 times the size of a 1" tetra.

Thanks!

Orion

Ultimate Fish
Feb 10, 2003
Kentucky
www.thefishcave.net
I've never kept Amano's, but Rams are predatory and will do their very best to eat the shrimp. I've had apisto's that were smaller than German Blue's that had no problem taring though some Cherry Shrimp and eating the soft parts. I honestly don't think I would trust a dwarf gourami either.

And your right on about the inch per gallon, it doesn't apply to many fish outside the small and narrow type. Plus nearly all cichlids need more than just gallons taken into account like territory which just further breaks down the inch per gallon 'rule'.

Stevie

Large Fish
Apr 2, 2005
Sunny Ireland.
Yeah I reckon the Ram would attack the shrimp. You might be good with a gourami though. I saw a 3 spot savaging a shrimp in my tank some years ago, but I think that was a one off cause it never thouched the other ones.

dt007

Small Fish
Jul 21, 2009
In that case what would be a safe centerpiece fish to keep with the shrimp? Or should I just stick with the smaller ones? And thanks for the responses so far!