Shy Otto?

Jul 18, 2007
I just brought home a new little Otto. I did the proper method of letting him get accustomed to the tank water for 15 minutes. I also put him in the tank without the lights on; I think I read it causes less stress when there is no light. I know that Otto’s are typically nocturnal, but are they unusually shy? My little Otto is hiding up and underneath my filter. I thought he went missing but upon further inspection, I found him hiding out. Maybe he is not used to the water and all of the other fish as well? Will he become more active?

Here are the current fish he is stocked with in a 30g Tall.

5 Buenos Aries
1 Gold Barb
6 Neon Tetras

The BA's are kind if nippy at times but other than that, I think the Otto should be ok.

Thanks

cchase85

Large Fish
Jun 6, 2006
New England
Oto's are relatively finnicky fish for a while after you get them. Usually if you can get them to live more than a few weeks they will last a long time, but within that window of bringing them home and acclimating them to the tank they die easily.

Your acclimation technique is not perfect, but it sounds like you had the right idea overall. Make sure he has plenty of places to hide and algae to eat (also think about throwing in some zucchini or cucumber in a few days) so that he can feel more at home.

MissFishy

Superstar Fish
Aug 10, 2006
Michigan
Oto's also like to be in groups and can be sensitive to water conditions. In the future, 15 mins is not long enough to acclimate a new fish. You should tuck the bag into the tank lid and let it "soak" for 15 mins to get the bag water the same temp as your water. Then you should start drip acclimating by removing water from the bag, and then putting water from your tank into the bag. This helps alleviate any stress issues with the PH and such in your water. Do NOT dump the bag water into your tank water. After a couple hours of this, put a net in the bag and scoop your new fish out and release it into the tank.

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
I think a couple of hours is pretty extreme. I usually shoot for somewhere around 15-30 minutes depending on the circumstances and the fish. Ottos are fine alone or in groups, I have kept them both ways for a long time. That being said, ottos can be hit or miss since most are wildcaught and not tank bred like most other freshwater fish...so best keep an eye on him.

New fish like to hide...and having the lights ON a lot of times is stressful so I usually leave the lights off for awhile.

Welcome to MFT :)

Jul 18, 2007
Thanks for the advice. I do think a few hours is a little on the high side. He might get even more stressed from being in such a small bag. I do prefer and use the drip method. I do not under any circumstances put in the water from the bag that is bad.

I have to keep the lights on for at least 8 hours since I am growing plants in there, but he gets plenty of time to himself at night. He loves to hide up and underneath the filter. The other fish can not get to him. The BA's chase him everyone and awhile but he is pretty fast himself. I am debating about trading in or donating the BA's to someone or a pet store. They are too aggressive for the tank.

Eventually I want to get a pair of convicts, but from he reading I have done, they seem to be diggers, is that true? If so, how do they fair in planted tanks?

Also, I have to wait to get the convicts, because I think 30g is too small and I have not found the rocks that I would like to put in. I think I will stick with the 30g planted for awhile, make sure that I get the hang of growing plants and keeping healthy fish. I might go with a school of Neon Tetras and black neon tetras that would be a cool looking group of fish.