Siamese Temperature?

Feb 3, 2006
Ireland
Thinking of acquiring a Siamese fighting fish for desk ornament in a 4g bowl (sitting unused). I’ve been looking around of the net and it seems that the recommended temp is about 75-85F. Just wanted to see what is the lowest water temperature that these fellows can cope with. (and I mean lowest) I live in a 160-year-old house in Ireland and none of the upstairs rooms have heating. So it does get cold. My 20g cold water tank has a temp of roughly about 50-55F or 10-14C, was planning on keeping the Siamese in the same room. So the real question is can Siamese survive in 55F water?

Cheers
den

Check out my cold water tank if you like! Let me know if you have any suggestions or comments.

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2006
Ireland
Might have to give the Siamese a miss then, I have a spare heater but I just cant imagine, the four gallon bowl with the heater sticking out of the top of it. Think it would take away from the attractiveness of the fish and the setup.

Thanks for the input

den

"Arthur awoke feeling wonderful, absolutely fabulous, refreshed, overjoyed to be home, bouncing with energy, hardly disappointed at all to discover it was the middle of february". Douglas adams, So long, and thanks F A T F.

Feb 3, 2006
Ireland
That’s a neat little fancy bit of kit, didn’t know they made them. It would be perfect for the bowl and if the fish doesn’t live I can use it as a handy hand warmer. Now, just have to see if they stock them on this side of the Atlantic.

Cheers

den

Feb 3, 2006
Ireland

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
You need a 25 or 50 watt heaterstat. Your local shop should have one, or be able to order you one, or you can buy it online from the UK or Eire.

Looking at US equipment catalogues is a sure way to frustration - european kit is usually somewhat different, or at least from different big players.

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
This looks like the thing you need: http://www.petsparade.co.uk/aquarium/heaters-heaterstats/?p=3250

I really think it's a big waste to get electric equipment from abroad and have to use a transformer/converter (which you need to do if you're in the UK and use stuff made for the US). It's OK temporarily, but it's not a long-term solution. It's not like comparable stuff isn't available in most countries.

Jul 6, 2004
Massachusetts
Visit site
denis, I agree with wayne that you would need a 25 or 50watt heater. If you read the description of the mini heaters, it says that it will only heat the water a couple of degrees above the room temperature, and for a 55 degree room (brrr!!) the water will need to be heated much more than a couple of degrees. Plus, I think it would be better to have a thermostat on the heater, so that you can actually control the temperature. I have a 25Watt one of these in a 3g tank with a betta, so if you could fit it in the bowl (its a bit more than 8" long), I think that it would work well for you. :)