Sick betta...

aaronburro

Medium Fish
Mar 27, 2003
Visit site
Welp, dubyadubya has gotten his first illness under my stewardship. I dunno if it is from the anacharis I put in yesterday or what, but today when I looked in his tank his fins were all stuck in on themselves, like they were really sticky or something. He's not moving too much, but I suppose that is cause he is sick.

I also noticed some fungus on him, which I will promptly treat, but I was curious: is the fin anomaly caused by teh fungus, or is it something else?

Iggy

Superstar Fish
Jun 25, 2003
Leduc, AB, Canada
Visit site
Clamped fins - what we all it. Its a sure bet sign of illness. Just means he is sick and hurts to move.

Body fungus, treat it quickly, it spreads fast and kills quickly. Jungle Brand Anti-Fungus works really well (yellow crystals). Follow instructions closely - remove any carbon filters.

If you can get your hands on a 5 gallon tank, it makes for a good all-around quaranteen/sick treatment tank with a little 50w heater.

aaronburro

Medium Fish
Mar 27, 2003
Visit site
oh yeah, as soon as I saw him this mornin I saw the fungus, so I got out my 1gal tank and filled it w/ tank water from his tank. I then gave him a good 5 minutes in a cup of tankwater w/ a 1/8th tsp of jungle fungus, and then I transferred him over to the 1 gal. I'll repeat the super dip each day until teh fungus is gone.

I ran out and got a heater too for the 1 gal, since I never needed one before w/ my one goldie in it(till I learned better about goldie needs).

Glad to know the clamped fans is what it is. I'm used to that w/ my goldies when they get sick. It just looks different when a fish REALLY has fins like the betta does :D

Should I watch the rest of the tank that the betta was in carefully for fungus, or will it prolly be OK?

Iggy

Superstar Fish
Jun 25, 2003
Leduc, AB, Canada
Visit site
Usually, I leave the jungle fungus treatment in the tank, I don't typically use a dip. I am not sure if prolonged diluted treatments are better than short strong dips.... whatever works I guess. I treat every 4th day after a 50% water change.

Fungus is typically a follow-up illness to some sort of bacteria, so look for any cuts. Jungle fungus already includes anti-bacterial agents, so it should help.

Are you getting a lot of pH swing in your tank? Usually fast pH changes or temperature changes cause fungus on bettas.

aaronburro

Medium Fish
Mar 27, 2003
Visit site
pH should be stable. I use a pH buffer cause my water is prone to sudden crashes. Today was the first day I noticed anything different, and I usually spend a good five minutes each day observing my lil guys, and I noticed right away today something was different when I saw him...

the only real "new" thing to the tank was the anacharis I put in yesterday, though over the past few weeks the tank has seen 4 ottos come and go at their "leisure."

as a follow up, I checked the water params, and the nitrates were really high(>25)... musta been from the bits of anacharis that "died" in the bag during transport home, so I did a 50% water change on the one gal and i'll do a similar one tomorrow on the 10gal. The nitrates have been at zero even at the weekly water changes, so the drastic change must have been what got to W-2

Last edited: