sick betta

hcover

Medium Fish
Apr 22, 2006
Missouri
I have a female betta with a cloudy, eye, a bit swollen. It has a patch of white, maybe a fungus, near the eye too. None of the other bettas, or fish in the tank have any symptoms. The water is 0 amonia, 0 nitrites, 12.5 nitrates, it is planted.

Do I need some medication, or can this be treated witht he increase temperature, salt treatment I've used with ich?

Thanks,

hcover

Medium Fish
Apr 22, 2006
Missouri
Ok, we did separate her. She's in a betta bowl now that we will change a cup of her water a couple of times a day.

I'll go get some meds today. Antifungal? Not antibiotic?

hcover

Medium Fish
Apr 22, 2006
Missouri
here are some pics. It's the fishes left eye. (It's not like cotton, it's just cloudy, with a white outline, and it puffs out, like almost a clear bubble around the eye)

Attachments

Last edited:

hcover

Medium Fish
Apr 22, 2006
Missouri
Yes, I think it is popeye. Does that mean I need an antibiotic? - She's in fungus meds now. And I'm changing a cup of water 2 - 3 times a day to keep her water absolutely clean. (There's no filter or air stone in her bowl)

My daughter overfed in a big way in the tank she was in. We did water changes 3 days in a row to get the water parameters where they belonged. And that was just last week. So, I guess it's probably a result of that bad water quality. Luckily, none of the other fish have any bad symptoms and no one died.

Her eye still looks the same, after 2 days of the antifungal.

Thanks for the help everybody,

SANND

Large Fish
Jul 20, 2005
Washington, DC
hcover, I'm not a disease expert (I was hoping one would have replied by now) but according to the links I found, the anti-fungal isn't going to help.

If it's caused by an injury then it seems water changes and some salt or betta fix is what you need. If you think it's bacterial then I would treat with one of the meds that's listed on the two sites I posted links for.