Sick Dalmation Molly

svh155

New Fish
May 13, 2005
Fairly new tank (2 weeks now) not through cycling. Thought I had the jump on setting it up because I added some Cycle to get bacteria in there and I added only 2 mollies when I first stocked it (3-4 days after setting it up). My male mollie has looked very pitiful for 4-6 days now. Should change his name to Barishnikov because this little guy has been doing water ballet (swimming at all sorts of unusual angles, obviously struggling on his equilibrium), when he is swimming. I also added aquarium salt (1 tblspn) - my tank is 10 gallons. My ammonia is starting to rise (around 1.0) and he obviously can't tolerate it. My female mollie seems to tolerate things a bit better. Did water changes every other day to try to drop the ammonia, but then read this is bad (to stop the new tank cycle)....any advice offered appreciated. I was hoping to avoid casualties.... *SICK* :eek:

kll1221

Large Fish
Mar 2, 2005
Michigan
You need to do water changes to help the fish. They said it was bad because it slows down the process of cycling. I *think* mollies like it warm like 80 degrees and I think that will help them out to. I would water change at least 20% every other day.

I am new to so someone will come behind me and correct me if I am wrong.

Welcome to the tank!

May 9, 2005
West Haven, CT
i kept my dalmation molly in about 75 degree water. It survived all my newbie tanks mistakes, but died suddenly recently.

If one had ammonia problems that were horrible it would be rockingin one place, and breathing heavy. It may have a swim bladder thing. I never had this with my molly, but with other fish that were in a high ammonia situation, they would swirl. I assumed it was ammonia damage, and though they stopped swirling constantly and then jsut did it when they were trying to move away fast. They were never quite right and all died a little bit later while I was on vacation (other cirrcumstances) so I can't say if the problem cured itself.

You need to water change. daily if that is what it takes. Beneficial bacteria is only beneficial when it is attached to something...rocks, decor, filter stuff. changing your water a little daily shouldn't disrupt this much at all.

In addition, mollies are poopy fish. you might consider feeding it as little as possible, when it is healthy again, and don't feed it a ton of food. It can go days without food. I'd feed every other day, just to chill out ammonia production. When the tank is settled
you can get your own routine down.