sick dragon fish

Jan 11, 2009
I have a sick dragon fish. I bought 2 dragon fish from Wall-mart several months ago and they were both doing fine in my 10 gal. brackish tank, until 2 days ago. Now the bigger one is breathing hard and is staying in a twisted position. It looks fat and its stomach is much bigger than the other dragon fish. I have been feeding them once a day a combination of blood worms, freshwater flakes and goldfish crisps. What can I do to help my sick fish? Thanks, Maralee

I didn't know what a dragon fish was so I did some reading. Sounds like they are a type of arowana that can grow over a meter in length...? If that is the case, and those are the fish you bought, then I suggest you return them. Your 10g is waaaaaaay to small for them.

I'm not sure, but it also looks like these are actually freshwater fish...?

I am no expert in these fish, so wait around for someone who knows what they're talking about. :eek: Good luck and welcome to the forum. :)

TMony

Large Fish
Nov 16, 2008
Are they Dragon Gobys or an Arowana Dragonfish?
Either way, they both would need a much larger tank.
If they are Dragon Gobys, they can grow up to 25" long and are brackish water fish. They should be in a MINIMUM of 50 gallons of water. If the Dragon Goby is kept in too small of a space, it will fight with its tank mates.

Do you have gravel or sand in your tank? They should have sand in their tanks, because they will sometimes swallow rocks and obviously cause serious problems.

Last edited: