sick dwarf gourami

TexAg08

Large Fish
Dec 12, 2006
for the past few days, my dwarf flame gourami has been acting very strange. he has been hiding in the plants and at the bottom of the tank, and kind of swims with his head up/tail down, greater than a 45 degree angle id say. usually he swims all about the tank and acts like he is king. now when he hides in the plants and stuff he kinda lists to one side or the other, and my randomly dart about. all other fishes look great and act normal, and except from a random ammonia spike last week, all parameters are 0 except nitrates, which are at about 5-10 ppm.

i just looked at the tank and he is on his side on top of a plant, looks like he is sleeping. if i go up to the tank tho he responds and swims to the glass

any ideas?*SICK*

TexAg08

Large Fish
Dec 12, 2006
yea i know they tend to swim head up/tail down, but its very exagerated. i think hes gonna meet the maker soon...i dont have another place to put him unless its a bucket..should i do that to keep him away from other fish?

MissFishy

Superstar Fish
Aug 10, 2006
Michigan
This sounds like classic ammonia poisoning.

I would immediately do a 50% water change with treated tap water.

What is the temp of this tank? Have you added any new fish recently?

TexAg08

Large Fish
Dec 12, 2006
well it prob gets to be 80 during the day, my lights are hot...in fact i just looked at the temp and its 79.5. and its not a female i dont think. still hasnt died tho so thats good i guess

TexAg08

Large Fish
Dec 12, 2006
well hes still alive, and actually looks a lot better, but is still swimming funny. however, i have noticed a pronounced lump growing on the lower part of only one side of his body. this is near his tail. possibly a tumor?