Sick gourami, can anyone help?

aim3e

Small Fish
Jul 31, 2007
Hi,
I'm sorry to ask for help on my first post here but i would really appreciate any advice. I had a dwarf gourami die about 4 days ago from a mystery disease, I posted the symptoms on another forum but noone knew what was wrong. But now another dwarf, the strongest one, is unwell and I don't want to lose another one. The symptoms are completely different this time, he has developed a red sore lump on his upper lip, it has been there about 3 days. Is this due to the water quality after having a sick/dead fish? I did a 3 day course of melafix but I'm worried now because I saw him do a stringly clear poo. Actually it didn't even look like faeces, just thread-like. I know this can sometimes be a parasitic problem?
I'm really confused and would love if anyone could suggest a treatment for my fish. Sorry again for barging in like this.
Many thanks anyone.

TLH

Large Fish
Jun 27, 2005
Northants;England
Welcome to the forum. You're not barging in, we all have to start somewhere. This may have been better in the disease forum tho'.:)

Can you take pics of your fish? Check your water conditions also if you have tests. Ammonia, nitrite and nitrate and also PH level.

You can compare your fish with pics on this site linked below to see if anything obvious turns up.

http://www.fishpalace.org/Disease.html

aim3e

Small Fish
Jul 31, 2007
hi tlh, thank you so much for responding. i don't have a test kit right now and I will get one tomorrow morning. I feel really silly for being so unprepared for stuff like this, I'm relatively new to this and I also don't have a quarantine tank.

that site is great, thanks for posting it. I can't see anything obvious that refers to my gourami's sore.
the only thing is that my last gourami died of what i can only describe as wasting, was it TB? if so, is it contagious and how/should i treat my whole tank?

I guess i will post back tomorrow and also on the disease board when I have checked my water params. I will try to post a picture too.

Also, does anyone know if there is a way of setting up an emergency quarantine tank last-minute?