sick molly?

Dec 8, 2004
Visit site
i brought home three mollies the other day, and i noticed today that one of them has developed 2 small white lumps on her side. i also noticed today that she was swimming up and down the side of the tank really fast like she was being bothered by something. the lumps aren't big, but they're not as small as ich dots- what is this? should i get some medication for it?

Dec 8, 2004
Visit site
if the flesh is white then yes- that's what im seeing- it doesn't look fuzzy. at first i thought it was protruding, then i looked closer and it looks like it's inward- so i concluded that it was missing a couple of scales. it's hard to tell because she moves around too much

Dec 8, 2004
Visit site
ok- would malachite green work?? i dont know if i can set up a hospital tank on time. the spots are tiny compared to the pictures on that webpage- but i know it's not ich it's like two spots about the size of this O. i can't really tell if it's fuzzy, but it's too small to tell- i do think it's fugus though.

Dec 8, 2004
Visit site
blah- alright do fish with fungus act healthy in EVERY other way? those two white spots are driving me NUTS. (i know it's not ich because i've treated that a couple of times already at work and with a pleco that i saved from walmart.) i started medicating yesterday, and it hasn't gotten any worse since then, but it hasn't gotten better either. of course, i'll give that time. But she acts totally normal. She eats well and is always swimming around, her fins are nice and spread, she chases her tankmates for a couple seconds at a time... i can't understand what those dots are. is that normal for a fish with fungus?

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
Hopefully she'll be OK. Try the Melafix for a week, if she doesn't seem to improve, you will want to swap for something stronger. Livebearers seem prone to fungal/bacterial infections like this, sometimes I think the constant pregnancy is stressful for them.