Silicone choice for baffles

Dennis-Pir

Large Fish
Feb 8, 2006
Vancouver,British Columbia
I've read conflicting opinions about what silicone is OK to use for doing my baffles. I bought the GE Silicone II window and door and am wondering who has experience with this one... it doesn't say anything on the packaging about anti-mildew or UV protectant, or fungiside, etc. It does say "not for surfaces that will exceed 400 deg. farenheit, conditions where FDA complience is necessary, aquariums." I would like to know what you all think? I've read some posts etc. that say it will be fine, and others that say it's not good to use. Help!
Oh, and if I use this type i am going to let it clear for many days before even putting water or anything in it.
Thanks!

JeLeAk

Large Fish
Jan 4, 2005
Alaska
well if it says "not for ...., aquariums." i think that about sums it up...

i used All-Glass Aquariums silicone, i bought 2 3Oz. packages for my sump and only used up maybe 80-90% of 1 tube on my sump... the directions say to let dry for 48 hours before getting wet

Dennis-Pir

Large Fish
Feb 8, 2006
Lots of silicone says "not for aquariums" and can actually be used for them though - they put that on there to CYA. I'm just wondering because i've read posts in this forum that comment on GE Silicone II but they talk about it having fungicide, and all these other items in it...

JeLeAk

Large Fish
Jan 4, 2005
Alaska
well what are the "ingredients" ??? commercial quality might have chemicals to speed curing time that might be toxic... there are a lot of different things that could be added that could be toxic, its most likely 100% safe to use, but i wouldnt, and didnt risk it and bought something that said it was for aquariums on the tube itself... besides i spent like $6 on the all-glass stuff is it really worth the $1.95 you saved to potentially put poison in the tank?

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
this is defintly not the one you want ... it does say anti mold or something right on it cause i was looking at it last week :p the one you want is ge silicone I .... i havnt used either just cause i didnt really want to chance it but i did alot of reading the past month or so and defintly dont want 2 you want 1

oh yea btw i ended up picking up a tube of the all glass aquarium silicone at the lfs they should even have it at petco or one of the chains like that

Dennis-Pir

Large Fish
Feb 8, 2006
Well mine is GE Silicone II for Windows and Doors and it says nothing about anti-mildew etc..... and I am just wondering if thats because I am in Cda...?

Hence why I am prompting this discussion...... because I've read about the 'anti-mildew' etc.... and this has no notation of that on the

Can be found on the Home Depot Canada Site here...
GE Silicone - 10.1 Oz. 100% Silicone Window & Door Clear Sealant - SE2184 24C

And in the U.S.A. It shows this......
The Home Depot

And this is why I am so confused, in the one from Cda, no anti-mildew etc.... one in the U.S. there is....

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
i was actually just at home depot and read the tube again just to make sure and it say bioseal mildew protection or something...thats the only differance between I and II ...cant you just get the right stuff ??? youd be better off

btw heres were it says it :rolleyes:

Dennis-Pir

Large Fish
Feb 8, 2006
Ahh but did you look at the two links that I gave, I.e. because I am in Canada, the two links show the comparison between the one in Canada, and the one in the U.S.

Sorry apparently the link to the US. Home Depot isn't working so i just copy and pasted what is on the site FOR
GE SILICONE II (IN THE U.S.) It says as follows

How does GE Silicone II Window and Door with BioSeal save you money and hassle of repairing water damage? By combining silicone's low shrinkage, maximum UV resistance and perma-flex properties with better adhesion, lower odor, and greater surface compatibility. Silicone II Window and Door is the gold standard in the sealant category.

• Weatherproof/watertight
• Will not shrink or crack
• Permanently flexible
• BioSeal-mold and mildew product protectant
• Applies in all weather conditions
• Adheres to a broad range of surfaces

IN CANADA

GE SILICONE II Window and Door

A small investment in GE Silicone II Window and Door can save you alot of time and money from water damage and callbacks in the future. GE Silicone II combines the benefits of silicone, such as low shrinkage, maximum UV resistance, and permanent flexibility, with the added benefits of better adhesion, lower odor and more surface compatability.

Says nothing here about BioSeal-Mold and mildew product protectant....???

Last edited:

CoolWaters

Superstar Fish
Dec 10, 2006
Milpitas
Dennis-Pir said:
Well it is made out of acrylic..... but I found something else other than silicone I

if its acrylic then its best to use Weld-on. you would probably want to use weld-on #16 unless your cuts are smooth...

heres a video on how to use weld-on

Instructional Videos: TAP Plastics

i used weld-it and it seems ok. (very similar to weld-on). but weld-on seems stronger.

btw using silicone as a finish is great too.