silk plant question

Apr 7, 2005
NUNYA
Hi I have a couple silk plants in my tank, and I was wondering what is the easiest way to clean them. I have taken notice that I have brown algea on them and it doesn't look good.

And one other question. I just bought some fish so I updated my signature, do I have to many fish in my tank??? Or is it ok. I don't plan on buying any more.

Sep 8, 2005
I have two silk plants in my oranda tank and i clean mine with an algae sponge and fishy water. You must use care not to fray the silk. As far as your tank goes is sounds if not overstocked darn near close to it. I'd keep a close eye on your water parameters.
How many fish did you just add?

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
According to the directions on one silk plant, the algae comes off if you take the plant out and let it dry for a while (like overnight), and then scrub at it a bit. It sure doesn't come off wet, because I've tried that repeatedly.

I think your stocking level is fine, but then again I overstock quite a bit myself. You've got all little fish, and they should be no problem for a 55g.

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
I agree with pretty pleco on the stocking. You can probably be fine with what you have, just be sure to keep up with weekly maintenance as your stock gets older.

Chazwick...simple math. Each fish isn't one inch...actually the only fish that will probably stay under an inch are the neons...the rest get to about 2 inches, maybe a little more. So I'd say you have at least 64 inches in there. You dont count by the size they are now...you have to account for the adult size of the fish for stocking requirements.

Did you just get the ottos? If they are a new addition I'd wait on cleaning your plants manually until you're sure the ottos aren't going to get to it. Those little guys love algae and with 6 of them you're going to need to take special precautions to make sure they all get enough food. Besides...unless you find it really annoying...I think algae on fake plants almost makes them look more real! :)

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
Black neons also don't get to 2 inches, they barely hit 1.5 max. I think danios stay just under 2 as well. It's still a bit over 55, but not really overstocked.

I do agree that you should let your ottos eat the algae, they should take care of it fairly quickly. Didn't even think of that.

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
Only reason I broke it out was because Chazwick seemed surprised that 30 fish could be overstocked in a 55...which can easily be the case. I counted the black neons with the neons in the 1 inch category (just saw neon didn't see the black part) and my danios always get up to around 2 plus they need some extra space to swim for their activity level so I usually go with two :) and I came up with 63. I dont think its unreasonable...but if it were my tank I dont think I'd add anymore fish.