Silly Question

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
Okay this may sound silly. How many pounds of sand do I need to create a 3-4" dsb in a 75G tank that is 48" long by 18" wide? and is 3-4" of sand enough to create a good working dsb? :D

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Reefcentral has a calculator. 3 to 4 inches is traditionally considered minimal thickness but there's no real evidence for this

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
Okay according to reefcentral I will need 150 lbs, I will be getting 75 lbs of live sand and the other 75 lbs I will use play sand? which goes down first the play sand with the live sand on top?

aresgod

Superstar Fish
Jan 14, 2004
mass
Visit site
you could use play sand but i think it might be a better idea overall to get some cheap dry sand specifically made for fishtanks, alot of play sands have silicates and other stuff you dont want in your tank in them, might be a little more pricy but in the long run i think a better idea

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
i dont know anything about flamingo sand im afraid...as far as the live sand if you are going to buy the stuff in the bag you are wasting your money (in my opinion). you would be much better off buying a cup full from another reefer or the LFS

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
The reason I said "playsand" was that on another forum they say to use playsand, preferrably Southdown and seed this with the live sand. I will get some of that and put it down and put the 75lbs of live sand on top of it. Thanks for the input everyone.....

dbacksrat

Superstar Fish
Jun 3, 2003
Glendale, AZ
Visit site
KahluaZzZ said:
got very low nitrates so why should i buy live sand? Already have a "not deep" crushed coral bed full of life. I understand live sand would give me more surface to grow bacteria but if it isn't a necessity, why bother ?
if it's not broke, why fix it? my CC is the same--i would love the switch it to a finer grade of sand, but if it works, why bother?

dbacksrat

Superstar Fish
Jun 3, 2003
Glendale, AZ
Visit site
i just replied to this thread, but AO-freakin-L did something crazy when I hit "Back" on a different page twice (so my reply disappeared)--I swear AOL is going to give me high blood pressure/homicidal thoughts

back to sand: my shallow CC is just like yours KahluaZzZ (shallow and full of life)--if it's not broke, why fix it? I would love to put down some finer grained sand, but I don't want to risk throwing off my whole system