single or pairs

pamcat

Small Fish
Nov 5, 2003
USA CA
Visit site
I saw the blue gourami in the LFS, found they will do well in my tank and get along with the fish I wish to get.
Is it better to get them in pairs or is it ok to just have one on its own? There will be 2 angelfish and 2 catfish in a 46 gallon tank..
Thanks

the big blue gouramis? not dwarfs? I would just get one male, they are slightly more colorful (when they mature they get this cool orange tinge on their bottom fin) and they can get quite aggressive to other gouramis, although girls may be a bit more mild... I usually see more girl big blues than guys around here.

Balance

Large Fish
Jul 16, 2003
Aurora, IL
www.myspace.com
i would get 1, or 3+

getting pair of any type of fish usually results in one of the fish dieing.

you would be better off with 2 females and 1 male

other than a few particularly aggressive species, gourami's get along fine in larger groups, as long as they have plenty of swim space and the males dont outnumber the females

doctawife

Large Fish
Sep 25, 2003
Houston, TX
Visit site
Blue and opaline gouramis

Okay, I'm new to Gourami land. I think I have two male gourami's - one opaline and one blue. They seem kinda peckish at each other. Should I get a female of some kind, or tanke one back?

Please help!

-doctawife

doctawife

Large Fish
Sep 25, 2003
Houston, TX
Visit site
Aww, nuts. I have fourteen days to take the blue gourami back and get a full refund. I'm on call tomorrow, so I won't be home again until Tuesday (30 hours in the hospital). I guess I'll see how they are doing when I get home. Hopefully, they won't annihilate each other in that time.

-doctawife