sinking drift wood?

Orion

Ultimate Fish
Feb 10, 2003
Kentucky
www.thefishcave.net
Interesting Mike, A couple of months ago I picked up some driftwood at a local river and I put in a bucket and with in a week it had no problems sinking. I guess it really has a lot to do with what type of wood it is and how quick it absorbs water.

Its really best however to buy your drift wood rather than collect it yourself unless you no for a fact that the wood will be free of polutants. That is the biggest drawback of collect it your self.

Oct 22, 2002
Bend, OR
www.zealotron.com
Really? Maybe it's just the juniper he's using. It's not actually driftwood, it's just wood hehe. Juniper branches grow into some pretty interesting twisting shapes, so they look awesome, with deep red accents. And when you boil it, it really leaches into the water and makes the most awesome smelling "tea" hehe.

Orion

Ultimate Fish
Feb 10, 2003
Kentucky
www.thefishcave.net
Ive offten heard that if you use wood that had not compleatly dried out and still alive that it will rot very quickly in the tank. Dont know if this is the case or not, just thought Id pass the info along.

"tea" lol ;)

Oct 22, 2002
Bend, OR
www.zealotron.com
Yeah thats the thing about the driftwood from aquariumdriftwood.com , they say it lasts for like 10 years or more in water without breaking down. My friends make fun of me when I tell them I spent $30 on a piece of wood, but the look is incredible, as well as the quality. My plecos love chewing on it *thumbsups

RogerL

Medium Fish
Mar 13, 2003
Raleigh, NC
Visit site
For what it's worth, I bought a small piece of sand blasted grapevine root early this week (nice and gnarly!).

I was really surprised that it sank like a brick when I put it in a bucket of dilute bleach. I left it in the bleach for two days and then have been putting it into fresh hot water (changed daily) and letting it sit since then. No sign of any water discoloration, so it's going into the tank tomorrow.

revfred

Superstar Fish
Jun 21, 2003
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
Some kinds of driftwood sink naturally. Found some Malaysian drfitwood at a LFS. Really nice stuff, sinks like a rock even if not soaked. Evidently grapvine does the same.

Some driftwood you will find in local lakes remain "skunky". That is they continually leach colour and smell "skunky" even after soaking in bleach.

Last edited:

crook

Medium Fish
Jul 15, 2003
my desk chair
Visit site
so should i use the driftwood in the lake soak it in 50% bleach and 50% water for like a day or 2 then put it in a buket of water for a week then put it in my 10g or should i not use the drift wood from the lake at all:confused: but i need driftwood badly and im not about to spend 30 buck on a peace of store driftwood

what I did with mine is boil it for about 5-10 minutes and then soak it in a bleach solution for about 2 hours.

I think I had about 1-2cups of bleach in a bucket of water. 50-50 would probably be too strong.
Actually, now, if I let my wood dry, it looks completely white!! maybe I bleached it too long. Looks fine when wet though.

I heard too that boiling the wood helps getting rid of the yucky color in the water and helps make it sink. I still haven't tried boiling it again though (too hot and humid aroud here!)

Anyways, hopefully someone who knows more than me will answer as well... I'm a beginner as well, so I'm not 100% sure of anything right now.