Sinking problems

Katome556

Large Fish
Oct 16, 2006
Russell,Kansas
My female betta who got torn up pretty good recently has been acting well more fishy then normal,she sinks when she swims and rests allot on plants,the gravel just about anywhere.

Can anyone tell me what is wrong with her???

I did a W/C yesterday and the levels are amm 0 nitrAtes 0 nitrites 5 or 6 i forgot since i checked them yesterday.

She is'nt being nipped at all.

joeyjoeq

Large Fish
Jul 15, 2006
Chicago
Does it look like she is resting type of thing? Mine does it all the time. One day I actually thought she was dead since she would not move, but then again she is not nipped. How bad is the nipping? Any pics? Might be that she can't swim too good due to the damaged fin.

IDunnoWhy

Superstar Fish
Nov 16, 2006
Deerfield, WI
Well, My betta lays on things all the time, she even lays on the bottom every now and then, I've found that my filter provides alot of current that she struggles with, I put an excess of artificial plants in with her, It helps "break" the current, and gives her more to rest on. Not to mention I think she likes the added privacy *twirlysmi Is it possible yours is struggling with water current issues as well?

SANND

Large Fish
Jul 20, 2005
Washington, DC
You shouldn't have any nitrites at all. You should have 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite and < 20 nitrates. I'm surprised your other fish aren't showing signs of stress. Do frequent water changes and try to keep your nitrite below .5 Hopefully you should see some nitrates soon.

IDunnoWhy

Superstar Fish
Nov 16, 2006
Deerfield, WI
Whoops...I read your post wrong, I thought it was 0 Nitrite and 5-6 Nitrate, but alas it was the other way, So yes do as SANND said, water changes, and moniter the situation closely. I hope all goes well.

Katome556

Large Fish
Oct 16, 2006
Russell,Kansas
Ghaa i screwed them two up again >.<. Nitrates 5 nitrites 0 amm 0 for some reason i always get those two readings messed up with one another. ^^'

I don't think it's the current of the under gravel filter cause i have lots of live plants that would break it up,and it's not super strong any how ,i think it's got to be something with her fight with my other betta,she never acted this way untill after it happend so it's my best bet .