Size for Quarantine tank

kll1221

Large Fish
Mar 2, 2005
Michigan
I need to get another tank to quarantine my angel in. What is the smallest that would be reasonable? I hoping to not get another 10 gallon cuz I stupidly sold it and my husband may be mad if I went and bought another one.

I also need to help this angelfish as well and don't want to buy meds for the whole tank again.

Thanks.

Also if I did set up a Q tank would I have to have it up and running always or can it just be set up to help a sick fish here and there?

seastaar88

Superstar Fish
Feb 1, 2004
middletown, CT
my Q tank is a 5G tank. i set it up as needed for ill fish by using water out of my main system and bring one of my HOB filters (i run three HOB filters on my main tank) on to it (keeping only the mechanical and bio media in it).

Last edited:

VirgoWolf

Superstar Fish
Feb 16, 2006
Michigan
I have misc. tanks everywhere and I have a cupboard full of meds, water conditioners, filters, media, and anything you would ever need (It looks like a petstore in here! LOL) So I just throw up whatever I need. I have never had angels though, so I have no idea what size I'd use. The problem here is finding room to set ANY tank, LOL.

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
A 10g tank is fine in most cases, unless you keep really big fish. An angel should be fine in a 10g tank for a week or two, as long as it's the only inhabitant. A 5g would work OK. The other thing to think about is the medicine dosage. Smaller tanks can be hard to dose accurately if you need one tablet per 10g, for example. I tried to treat a 1g tank once by opening up a gel pill and estimating one-tenth of the powder, it wasn't a great idea, but luckily I didn't kill the fish.

I use a 10g because it's cheaper than some of the smaller setups. I also have a filter on mine that's compatible with other filters I have, so I can easily move media to the Q-tank if I need to cycle it or if the meds have caused a mini cycle (of course, I won't move media from the Q to a regular tank).

The main things you need are a filter and a heater. I keep mine barebottomed, and throw in some old, ugly decorations to give the fish somewhere to hide. I throw in old plant clippings sometimes. As long as whatever goes in there can be bleached or thrown out, it should be OK.

kll1221

Large Fish
Mar 2, 2005
Michigan
ok found a good deal on a 10 gallon tank. I cyphoned water from my other tank and moved a few plants and decorations into tank and squeezed the filter media into the filter. When do you think it is safe to move the fish over?

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
You can probably move her over, but you'll need to keep a good eye on the parameters. Obviously, it's more important to get her medicated. You can control ammonia or nitrite with water changes (or use something like Amquel, if you have it handy).

Yes, those incandescent bulbs are really yucky.

kll1221

Large Fish
Mar 2, 2005
Michigan
Thanks especially since right before I went to bed he was finially swimming and looking good. I did do a small water change yesterday. I also put some gravel from my big tank in there as well.