skimmer issue

zoalover34

Superstar Fish
Jun 5, 2006
Kent, OH
i have a asm g3 w/ gate mod and it won't fit under my stand, well it fits but it hits the top and i won't be able to empty it.. i can barely fit it in my sump (20 long) its just not wide enough.. anyways what is a good smaller skimmer that i can use ( has to be rated for around 175-200 gallons).. maybe a hob for the sump or something.. im looking to either trade my skimmer or sell it and buy another one either in sump or hob.. i think the asm is about 27 or 28".. so it would have to be about 22-24 so i would have room enough to get the collection cup off.. any help would be great! thanks
~ Jim

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
I don't know if this is something you might want to try, but many people in similar situations add a drain to their collection cup. Basically, drill a hole in the lower side wall (or better, the bottom) of the cup and attach a small hose with a valve for open and closed. When you want to empty the cup you just open up the hose valve and out goes the skimmate.

zoalover34

Superstar Fish
Jun 5, 2006
Kent, OH
that's an idea but what about cleaning the skimmer? i also thought about cutting a hole in the floor of the stand that will drop it about 1" aprox.. i don't wanna get rid of this skimmer, another thing tho is that ill have to do some extra plumbing b/c i can't get the skimmer and the pump in my sump, not wide enough, ill have to plump the skimmer to the pump lol..

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
We have a Coralife Super Skimmer that's rated up to 220g. It is about 23" from the bottom of the floor of the stand to the top of the collection cup. It can be used as an HOB, but we have ours in the sump. I think if it were set up as HOB it would be considerably higher.

It's an OK skimmer. Some people like them, some people hate them. It's the only skimmer I've used, so I can't really give a good review. I know it pulls out a lot of skimmate for us.