Skimmer Sound Off

shwnicus

Large Fish
Feb 22, 2006
Kirkwood, MO
Opinion Thread: *DRUMMER*

best working versus lowest cost protein skimmer for small tanks (55 and under).

I've heard the Coralife Needle Wheel 65 is very good and with a general price of $75 is at least a bit affordable.

other entries?

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Used. It's tough to beat a CPRbakpakat 40bucks,I paid approx a hundred for a Schuran that will simply outskim any cheap skimmer, and is easier to tune to boot.

I am a rare satisfied Prism user, but it's only good to 20, 30 gallons, and takes a long time to tune and bed in, and is not easy for beginners

Feb 6, 2005
Waterloo, ON Canada
CAPSLOCK said:
I like my prism also, although it does seem a bit undersized for 45g (and I think it claims to be good for 90 or 100g or something...).

For a small tank ya there okay, but definitely not upto 100g like they claim, I would max it out at a 40g IMO, plus I find them a little bit of a pain in the a%$ to adjust... many times I have cleaned it and set it back up and come home a few hours later to find it overflowing back into the main tank.

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
Yeah, they do have to be readjusted every time you clean/stop them, which is a royal pain. But it seems to work well once it's adjusted, until it's time to clean the sucker again.

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Apart from cleaning out the collection cup under the tank I never clean mine, and i physically run a cloth of finger or such round the neck of the thing