Slightly confused.......

BalaShark

Large Fish
Dec 5, 2005
Hi All
Here’s the deal, I have my 30G’s setup with 4” LS and 35lbs of LR, 2 power heads and a Fluval205 filter in each. After reading and reading some more, I found that with enough LR and LS you don’t really need the filter. I have them, so no need to get rid of them. I am planning on buying 2 AquaC Remora’s, one for each tank.

My confusion comes in that it seems that the filters just create Nitrates, unless you take the foam pre-filters out, and just leave the carbon and BioMax in. Should I do that and add the skimmers?

My 1 tank is planned as a FOWLR and the other tank is planned to be a reef.

The lights on both tanks are Coralife 30 inch Aqualight w 2x65w straight pin base and 2-3/4w lunar LED’s

Thanks
Tony

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
If you're taking out the bio-media, you need to do it slowly (take out some each week). The filters can increase nitrates. You can rinse them out weekly to help avoid that, but in the end you're better off without the filter and using powerheads and a skimmer, especially for the reef tank.

KahluaZzZ

Superstar Fish
Jun 12, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
Visit site
LS isn't mandatory..LR will eventually seed any sand and tadaa...LS it'll be.
Better spend your $ on quality rock and skimmer than LS. foam = organic trap and biomax = will contain the bacterias need to convert nitrite to nitrate but not into nitrogen..so you'll have nitrate. To achieve the cycle you can rely on your live rock..big, good live rocks contains low oxygen bacterias that will convert nitrate into nitrogen.