Small Tanks?

Jan 14, 2007
I'm a bit new at this fish keeping habbit. I currently have two small tanks each with a male beta in it. They are the types of tanks that come in the beta starter kits you can find at most pet stores. You know, rocks, small plant, fish food, that sort of kit. Anyway, I recently found upside-down catfish at my local pet store. I'm thinking of getting one, but I would like to know what size tank they would need. I would also like to know if it would be able to live with a beta. Has anyone here tried that before? Also, while the tanks I have may be big enough for the baby catfish to live in, I know I'd need a larger one soon enough. What size tank should I look into? And is there anything else I should know? Thank you for the help!

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
They wouldn't do well even temporarily in one of those little tanks. They really need places where they can hide, and they'd need heat and filtration. I think they'd be fine in a 29g tank, or a 20g long.

Oct 25, 2006
Coolville, Ohio
Upside-down catfish can get up to 4" long. So they need a decent sized tank, at least a 20g long. This tank will need a filter and heater approved for that size of tank. They need lots of places where they can rest upside down and hide. I had a betta in my 45 gallon with my USD cats and they were fine together.

homebunnyj

Superstar Fish
Jul 13, 2005
Western NC
big54bob said:
correction they get upto 3inches long bandito and for a starter tank i would say a 29 gal because there nice
Planet Catfish says they can get up to 3.9" long. PlanetCatfish :: Cat-eLog :: Mochokidae :: Synodontis nigriventris

Insignificant difference, I was just wondering if you got the size info from the lfs signage, maybe. *twirlysmi Never trust info from those places. ;) They do a lot worse than being off by an inch or so most of the time.